HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Lower charge pipe replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:44 PM

Lower charge pipe replacement.

I just found out my vacuum nipple in my lower charge pipe (right by TMAP) has been broken off. I don’t know when it happened or I bought the car like this a month ago.

a few days after I noticed it, check engine light came on (P0101) and I don’t get boost.

Is the broken nipple the cause of this code?

is there an easier/ simpler way to get the lower charge pipe off and install a new one in without having to take off the bumper cover?

How fo I loosen the pipe at the throttle body?! I just cannot figure out how to loosen the bolt without removing the radiator....

please help!!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 PM

Not sure if you have to remove the bumper cover or not.

The pipe at the throttle body - have you tried a flex extension?

When I removed my intake manifold, the pipe was really stuck to the throttle body, it took a lot of work(and some dish soap) to get it off.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:59 AM

RJ
Didn't you remove just the top plate of the radiator to gain access to the clamp and hose at the throttle body?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
RJ
Didn't you remove just the top plate of the radiator to gain access to the clamp and hose at the throttle body?
The upper shroud removal was really helpful to remove some bolts. I don't think it would help to get to this hose clamp. But maybe it would, and the shroud is super easy to remove. It may, at the least, make it a little easier to see what you're doing.

But I'm pretty sure that you come at this hose clamp from the driver's side. Here is a link to the how-to for the intake manifold. Yamahhr, you'll be looking at step #11 for the hose clamp. If you decide to remove the shroud, step #5.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...fold-ss-56181/
Old 11-25-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
The upper shroud removal was really helpful to remove some bolts. I don't think it would help to get to this hose clamp. But maybe it would, and the shroud is super easy to remove. It may, at the least, make it a little easier to see what you're doing.

But I'm pretty sure that you come at this hose clamp from the driver's side. Here is a link to the how-to for the intake manifold. Yamahhr, you'll be looking at step #11 for the hose clamp. If you decide to remove the shroud, step #5.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...fold-ss-56181/

thank you sooo much for the link!
I jus read and saw pics and glad to know that I don’t have to take off the bumper cover. (Because it’s held with so many “plastic” clips, I’d rather not mess with the bumper cover.)

I didn’t even think of the flexiable extension either. (I need to get one of those!!)

it now looks very doable for me on my day off now. 👍

thank you!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:01 PM

Removing charge pipe without removing bamper cover will take you more time, than removing the cover and charge pipe. Don't ask me how i know
Old 11-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ohiocruiser
Removing charge pipe without removing bamper cover will take you more time, than removing the cover and charge pipe. Don't ask me how i know
crap!!!
Just I was getting pumped up to attack the job, thanks for the post! Lol

i guess I’ll get a new set of headlights when I change the charge pipe, so I can take care of two things (charge pipe and lights) at the same time... lol
Old 11-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Now you’re thinking!! Two birds one stone!
Old 11-26-2017, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Gotta ask.
Have you thought about just trying to repair the broken plastic nipple ? Is there enough left to just plastic weld it back in place ?
Seems like a lot of trouble to replace the entire charge pipe if the old one can just be repaired.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Gotta ask.
Have you thought about just trying to repair the broken plastic nipple ? Is there enough left to just plastic weld it back in place ?
Seems like a lot of trouble to replace the entire charge pipe if the old one can just be repaired.
That’s actually what I’ve done.
When I found the vacuum hose was just hanging, I also found the broken nipple still in the vacuum line.
So I inserted a brass pipe in it and stuck it back into the charge pipe, using JB weld epoxy. It’s been holding up so far. (Its been only like 3 days....) I made sure that I didn’t clog up the line with epoxy by blowing into the vacuum line and it’s not plugged up. 👍

Quick Reply: Lower charge pipe replacement.