Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   HHR SS (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/)
-   -   Warranty and Racing (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/hhr-ss-45/warranty-racing-23271/)

KinseySS 04-27-2009 03:10 AM

Warranty and Racing

Ok There might have been topics on this before, but since Racing season has started, I wanna inquire about this.

If something mechanical breaks down off-road on a track while drag racing and/or track racing (assuming you don't hit a wall) would it be warranty fixable? Especially with the stage 1 kit, which is under the warranty, but I always get mixed answers on this. Everything about the car was made to race, but under what circumstance would GM say it's not covered by warranty?

And going back to hitting a wall. What if something breaks down that cause you to hit the wall during a drag race, would that all still under warranty?

stephenm 04-27-2009 03:32 AM

#1 Depends if you tell them you were racing, and certain parts are already known to GM that break under racing conditions, primarily axles and trans casings

#2 No, you probably would need a police report.

just because a car seems to be made to race doesn't mean it would be covered, it is a street car, and your not supposed to be racing on the street.

just look at the Nissan Skyline, alot of people are finding out the hard way, about gittin on it.

hyperv6 04-27-2009 05:58 AM

Racing breaks parts. I make a living replacing racing parts that people break! Street cars break parts too when racing.

Factory cars under warranty are not covered under racing. Also if you do not have the car insured for racing if someone crashed into you it is your problem.

Many companies anymore are also watching web sites where people have times from autocross events, drag racing etc posted. Also they look for postings of modifications and dyno results. Also they look for street race video's and video's from compition events. These are things we all need to consider when posting.

Also keep in mind OBD II has a black box feature. Most companies do not check them but they can. So what ever you were doing will show the speed and engine parameters when it let go.

Auto companies do not care if you go and play but they do not want you to expect them to pay for you play.

The WRX guys who were smoking clutches and breaking parts Autocrossing found out the hard way when Subaru nailed them with results from Autocross events showing the car was used in compitition event.

So the next time you want to put that copy on YouTube of you autocrossing you may want to think twice if you have a warranty.

stephenm 04-27-2009 07:01 AM

Ya i remember a thread here, maybe it was even hyperv6 who said it. but managers have been seen going and then copy down v.i.n numbers at the track.

Originally Posted by hyperv6 (Post 378990)
Racing breaks parts. I make a living replacing racing parts that people break! Street cars break parts too when racing.

Factory cars under warranty are not covered under racing. Also if you do not have the car insured for racing if someone crashed into you it is your problem.

Many companies anymore are also watching web sites where people have times from autocross events, drag racing etc posted. Also they look for postings of modifications and dyno results. Also they look for street race video's and video's from compition events. These are things we all need to consider when posting.

Also keep in mind OBD II has a black box feature. Most companies do not check them but they can. So what ever you were doing will show the speed and engine parameters when it let go.

Auto companies do not care if you go and play but they do not want you to expect them to pay for you play.

The WRX guys who were smoking clutches and breaking parts Autocrossing found out the hard way when Subaru nailed them with results from Autocross events showing the car was used in compitition event.

So the next time you want to put that copy on YouTube of you autocrossing you may want to think twice if you have a warranty.

ChevyMgr 04-27-2009 09:59 AM

From the Warranty Booklet

What Is Not Covered
Tire Damage or Wear
Damage to the tire such as punctures, cuts, snags, and breaks resulting from pothole impact, curb impact, or from other objects is not covered. Also, damage from improper inflation, high speed spinning, as when stuck in mud or snow, tire chains, racing, improper mounting or demounting, misuse, negligence, alteration, or misapplication is not covered.

Damage Due to Accident, Misuse, or Alteration
Damage caused as the result of any of the following is not covered:

• Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle

• Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the Owner Manual.

• Alteration or modification to the vehicle including the body, chassis, or components after final assembly by General Motors.

• Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.

hyperv6 04-27-2009 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 379054)
What Is Not Covered
Tire Damage or Wear
Damage to the tire such as punctures, cuts, snags, and breaks resulting from pothole impact, curb impact, or from other objects is not covered. Also, damage from improper inflation, high speed spinning, as when stuck in mud or snow, tire chains, racing, improper mounting or demounting, misuse, negligence, alteration, or misapplication is not covered.

Damage Due to Accident, Misuse, or Alteration
Damage caused as the result of any of the following is not covered:

• Collision, fire, theft, freezing, vandalism, riot, explosion, or objects striking the vehicle

• Misuse of the vehicle such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing, or other competition. Proper vehicle use is discussed in the Owner Manual.

• Alteration or modification to the vehicle including the body, chassis, or components after final assembly by General Motors.

• Coverages do not apply if the odometer has been disconnected, its reading has been altered, or mileage cannot be determined.

Come on it has to be GM's fault if a crane falls on my HHR or a Riot flips it over. :lol:

ChevyMgr 04-27-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6 (Post 379060)
Come on it has to be GM's fault if a crane falls on my HHR or a Riot flips it over. :lol:

I don't see anything about it transporting swine flu though.....

hyperv6 04-27-2009 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 379067)
I don't see anything about it transporting swine flu though.....

Wait till you get the TSB to give us face mask!

KinseySS 04-27-2009 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr (Post 379054)
What Is Not Covered
Tire Damage or Wear

I actually have tire coverage for most of this surprisingly.