HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Weekend Show

Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Weekend Show

Another beautiful weekend to show off the SS. Monticello Raceway in FL put on a "hot lap" car show and races for charity this weekend. About 75 cars showed up for the event, with everything from SCCA beaters to the new Mercedes AMG..... the course was 1/2 mile road and the highlight of the day was watching a $75,000 COBRA kit tag the water-barrier after loseing control of a power-slide at around 60mph. There was one other HHR panel there. the guy does all his own work. the lower air-dam is from a dodge truck, the hood scoop is all Mustang, and the visor is for a Ford 350.... overall a gret weekend with the SS getting lots of compliments, considering it's black, a daily driver, and doesn't live in a garage.. enjoy. no official print-out but the transponder registered a 01:06.87 lap, not bad considering the compitition Karts run a 56-58 sec lap times on the same course. of course the SCCA guys are running close to that.
Attached Images     
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Do you have any mods? I would like to show the SS, but I feel kind of inadequate showing a stock car. Then again, I get comments on the SS all the time, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
Do you have any mods? I would like to show the SS, but I feel kind of inadequate showing a stock car. Then again, I get comments on the SS all the time, so maybe it doesn't matter.
Show it anyway, That's what I do...I'm there for the experience!! Just particpated in OVHS Foundation cars how this past weekend and Cruisin for A Cure the weekend before.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM

Mods are where I want to be but for the time being, and the fact that the car is pretty rare, it shows very well with just keeping it very clean. every one including the "ricers" lves what Chevy has done, I have yet to get a bad comment. I'm not showing the car because I think it will win(I don't have enough cash into it for that) I show the car because I can.... The HHR SS is not an odity, it fits supprisingly well next to a 60's or 70's Muscle car, even though it has been classified twice now as a "street ride". On sunday I think I showed them that the SS, not only show well, but could hoof it around the track, maybe not as impressivilly as that AMG did or the rally stingray, but I know the SCCA guys were very impressed after I posted a pretty good time on my 3rd lap ever!

Mods thaat I have added: the turbo tech sway bar, painted the brakes, red neon under 4 pieces, k&N FILTER......I'M SAVING PENNIES FOR BSR or ADM tune, IC and piping, exhaust, some chrome treatment under hood, and sub-box all are planned.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design
On sunday I think I showed them that the SS, not only show well, but could hoof it around the track, maybe not as impressivilly as that AMG did or the rally stingray, but I know the SCCA guys were very impressed after I posted a pretty good time on my 3rd lap ever!
An AMG has to be at least twice the price of a SS, if not three times.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
XXL

Originally Posted by jerSSey HHR
An AMG has to be at least twice the price of a SS, if not three times.
Or 4x...

ouch
Old 10-07-2008, 04:59 PM

The AMG had a $67,000 sticker price and of course 451HP! The owner of the track brought it complete with window sticker just to let us all know how much he paid....... when I did my laps, I know I could improve considering it was the first time I had driven that course....the course btw has 17 turns, with one nice sweep and 3 really decent straights.....they race there 3-4 nights/days a week, and allow "testing" provided you sign a waiver.....IE the guy who wrecked the COBRA, his insurance won't pay!

I have to tell you that the SS with the addition of the sway bar makes the nose dive into the corner not much more than stock , it does feel like it wants to push the front completly out on a real hard turn, and it doesn't help when the brake-assist kicks in and cuts the power. I can't wait for a better BOV either as it took me a lap-and-a-half to get the "lag" timing down while exiting the corners, and I need to teach myself to use the E-brake while cornering....I have a long road to go down with my SS and I think it will continue to be a pleasure to drive and upgrade....I already want the MCD from'09 and the back-up mirror
Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM

The white HHR looks pretty good with those additions!
Old 10-08-2008, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by damronjr
The white HHR looks pretty good with those additions!
I agree! (But your statement is lacking. Insert mighty in there somewhere.......IMO)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by stranger
I agree! (But your statement is lacking. Insert mighty in there somewhere.......IMO)
Originally Posted by damronjr
The mighty white HHR looks pretty good with those additions!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weekend Show