HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Whats the differance between SS and LT radiators?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Need more highlighter!

But, yeah the oil cooler coolant passages got clogged on mine and eventually killed the motor. Thanks for reminding me...
Blue, what exactly happened with your oil cooler, is this something we could prevent? I bought my SS as a project and it needed work. When I pulled the valve cover to install new chain it had a ton of sludge I had to clean up. If the top of the head was full of sludge I’m guessing one could have had that in other places.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Is it possible that LS/LT "fits" in an SS so you were sold something different than the factory installed?
Don, it could be I bought it second hand and don’t know the history.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:56 PM
Administrator

I’ve got a 2.2 2007, no oil cooler , the block passages were updated
Old 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by chrispacekc

Blue, what exactly happened with your oil cooler, is this something we could prevent? I bought my SS as a project and it needed work. When I pulled the valve cover to install new chain it had a ton of sludge I had to clean up. If the top of the head was full of sludge I’m guessing one could have had that in other places.

It got clogged up, and eventually blew like a head gasket. The turbo got killed first. Replaced that and did a head gasket. Then the oil cooler really went (more oil/coolant mixed), and I had them replace the timing chains. They replaced one and the guides,etc., and they told me the other was ok after new guides and tensioner. It let go at 75 mph a few days later. Chain jumped 2 teeth, and holes were created in the oil pan by shrapnel. If I had to guess at the root cause, the oil cooler was at the heart of all of it. AND, replace both chains,kids! They stretch. I had 145K miles, and they were junk by that point.

Ask me more if you have questions. It was a sad time, but I am an engineer for an auto company. I am in Quality now, so the root cause thing is dominating my life...
Old 03-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I simply do not understand these mechanics, and I use the term loosely, only changing one chain? So, because of that shouldn’t they be held responsible for the engine expiring, due to their negligence.
They had the opportunity to change it, but now you have a very expensive door stop/ boat anchor!
Funny they will say there’s no way they could known!!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Chain jumped 2 teeth, and holes were created in the oil pan by shrapnel.
Root cause..... quite simple, oil pan is not strong enough to hold the parts in. Strengthen the oil pan.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:13 PM

After further review

I’m finally back in town and had a chance to dig out the old radiator. It says 2.2 on the label and I pulled it from my SS. I bought the car used so I sure don’t know any history. Looked on rock autos site and noticed both AC Delcos part numbers and they have a different listing for the SS, the spec difference being one is 3/4” and the SS is 7/8” cores. They do have one aftermarket listed as 1” core! So that’s the difference. They do list all aftermarket will work in either model so take that for what it’s worth. Mine was running a click warmer than I wanted in the summer with the smaller radiator.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...,radiator,2172

Old 03-23-2019, 03:35 AM

Hello chrispacekc,
Well the reason I started this thread is because my SS slipped off the jack when I was raising it. When the car dropped to the floor the jack stayed extended and smashed up the bottom of the radiator. What saved more damage is I already had the top 2 rad mounts off.
After the radiator being bent so bad it still did its job and did not leak. The trans cooler was not effected.

I bought the ACDelco replacement from Rock auto but was very unhappy the way they packed it (bubble wrap). When it arrived it had a lot of bent cooling fins on both sides.
I sent it back for the refund and bought the Wizard Cooling rad. Finished installing it tonight. So far I'm very happy with it. Seems to do a good job now (better than stock)

Two things about the install. First: I couldn't reuse the plastic gap shrouds on the left and right sides. The hood would not shut with them installed. I may fabricate my own?
Second: I couldn't get fan to snap into the Wizard mounts. Its hanging in them now. But its not going anywhere.

The jack damage.

Wizard Installed.

Wish I hand better installed pics.
Thanks for sharing....

Old 03-23-2019, 09:26 AM

That looks good! They offer some rebates if you post your install on your Facebook page and other places, I think I ended up getting another $90 off. I do feel like these are just top quality and way overbuilt. I’m curious to see how it handles the blazing summer heat! It should be just amazing. I did get my fan to mount, I had to tap it down with a piece of wood and a rubber mallet on top of the tabs, the mounts may be a little too overbuilt.