HHR SS Topics and information on the 2008-2010 Chevy HHR SS Turbocharged models.

Proud New Owner of HHR SS - With Facts and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Proud New Owner of HHR SS - With Facts and Questions

Hello All,

I am proud to report I have finally come in possession of a 2008 HHR SS! I have wanted one since my now father-in-law purchased a 2010 LT. I enjoyed driving the car, but I felt it lacked two things: a turbo and a 5-speed! Since bringing mine home I found some great artifacts (window sticker, build sheet, dealer documents, etc.) in the glove compartment while test driving the vehicle so here is what I know thus far:

Facts:

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS
Approximately 43,700 miles
Victory Red
5 speed manual Transmission
Performance driver's seat
limited slip differential
NON-brembo brakes
sunroof

I am the second owner. First owner purchased the vehicle, drove it only during the summer, and never drove on a dirt road (supposedly). I met the salesperson who sold the car to the original owner and received it back on trade. He said it was simply a pleasure car during the first 4 years of its life.

Questions:

I found a dealer receipt for the fuel pump being replaced under warranty at 25k. Has anyone else had this problem? Has it happened more than once?

The battery was replaced March, 2012. It looks fine, but there is a little black tube with a gray ferrule next to it not attached to anything. What is it? I think it is just poking thru the trunk pan and ends between the spare and battery.

An airbag sensor was shorted out when I test drove the vehicle. Dealer replaced it as part of our deal. Is this common?

The brakes are awful from sitting on the dealer's lot all winter and I will be replacing ASAP I found a good deal on Powerstop ceramic pads and drilled/slotted rotors online. All four wheels for about $240 with shipping. Any opinions?

There is a small, round, slotted "thing" next to the sunroof controls. What is it? I see no mention of it in the user manual.

The child locks on the rear doors are activated. I would like to turn them off and the picture says to turn the white slot 90deg with a key, but which way? CW or CCW? I tried briefly, but it felt like I was applying a lot of pressure and nothing was happening.

Overall, I am very pleased with the car. It is a big change for me going from a carbureted V8 Camaro to a direct injected, turbocharged 4 cylinder, but I am glad I am finally making the leap to 21st century automobile technology!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

Welcome!! Hope you like your SS, and how much a$$ you can kick with it on the road. May not your Carbed Camaro, but it will still clean the streets!

I wish I could answer some of your questions, but about the only one I can suggest on, is just stick the key in the white slot and turn it. You have a 50/50 chance, and I'll be if it doesn't turn one way, the other will be it.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:07 AM

"The battery was replaced March, 2012. It looks fine, but there is a little black tube with a gray ferrule next to it not attached to anything. What is it? I think it is just poking thru the trunk pan and ends between the spare and battery."
Mine was like that to. Apparently these break easily and are pretty fragile. It allows the battery to vent to the outside. I purchased a replacement on ebay and it broke trying to put it in so I just made my own out of some tubing and barbs.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:37 PM

Welcome to the site

The factory battery is vented to the outside with that hose. If you do not see a place for the vent to plug onto the battery someone my have installed the wrong battery for the car.

The small round thing with slots is a microphone for when your talking to onstar.

Air bag sensors do fail but not that common.

As far as the fuel pump do you know which pump was replaced? The ss has two a high psi and a low psi pump.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM

You stated that the brakes are awful. Do you mean they are rusty and noisy from sitting or do you feel some other problem
Old 02-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
You stated that the brakes are awful. Do you mean they are rusty and noisy from sitting or do you feel some other problem
Visibly rusty when I first saw the car on the lot. The surface rust wore off on the drive home, but I see lots of grooves in the rotors. the car drives wonderfully with little to no brake pedal pressure, but under heavy braking there is lots of pulsation in The pedal (pretty sure its not the abs). The technician and I looked over the car on the hoist before I signed. He felt confident after driving it and looking at the brakes that some use would clean them up. I disagree after my hour drive home.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM

Once they start pulsating your better off replacing the rotors. 90 % of the time you just have to replace the front rotors for brake pulsations.

I have never used drilled rotors so I can't help you there my car is not an ss

I joy your new ride
Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Welcome to the site

The factory battery is vented to the outside with that hose. If you do not see a place for the vent to plug onto the battery someone my have installed the wrong battery for the car.

The small round thing with slots is a microphone for when your talking to onstar.

Air bag sensors do fail but not that common.

As far as the fuel pump do you know which pump was replaced? The ss has two a high psi and a low psi pump.
Curiosity got the better of me so I headed out the garage for some investigation:

1. Yup! I found a port in the side of battery into which the hose end pressed in perfectly. That has to be it.

2. That makes perfect sense. The car has Onstar (not currently active) and the slots appear aimed at the driver. Plus, there is some foam (like the end of a microphone, duh) inside.

3. OK, I was just curious of others had experience with air bag sensor failure.

4. I believe it was the cam-driven high pressure pump. The dealer's diagnostic report said 60psi (?, from memory...) was being achieved, but not the 2000psi+ needed.

I went ahead and ordered the Powerstop pads and rotors from Rock Auto. Jegs and Summit had them for sale and those are both catalog companies I have ordered from and trust. At the price I paid, I could not go wrong with all new as I will be doing the work myself.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Even though the on star is not active all you have to do is push the blue button tell them your a new owner and they may give you a free trail.

I have never paid for on star but I check with them now and again and get 3 months free trail. It came in handy the one time I locked the keys in the car when I was servicing it.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 AM

I saw you mentioned powerslot brakes, drilled and slotted
I highly recommend NOT using drilled and just use slotted. the rotors on these cars are already too small, unless you have the brembo option, and drilled rotors do nothing to help braking, just takes surface area away for braking! and they will warp quicker. I personally just did my brakes with the poweslot slotted rotors and pads for just under $160 and I am very happy with them. I also painted the calipers and top hats on the rotors just for some extra bling! very easy job to do on these cars I might add....
also check your fuel door and under the hood for the GM turbo upgrade, or see if you have the blue bosch sensors up front by the air box. if not get it tuned and go drive it!!

Quick Reply: Proud New Owner of HHR SS - With Facts and Questions