"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Here is the harness side for a Cobalt. If you get the tool and pins just pull out and insert.

Autometer is an aftermarket supplier might try there.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Technical Moderator

I found the harness side for HHR, looks the same to me but diff part number. Did you try to connect them?

Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I found the harness side for HHR, looks the same to me but diff part number. Did you try to connect them?

I appreciate your efforts, but I am not technically savvy that way.

I am afraid I will probably end up paying someone to do it.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:57 AM

Original did not require adapter

Hi...
I did the original post on this subject back in 06/15. Just wanted to mention that with parts I received, there was no adapters required. In other words, the meter plugged in directly the the dash plug with no adapter required.
Thank you, Darrell
Old 06-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Compressed
Hi...
I did the original post on this subject back in 06/15. Just wanted to mention that with parts I received, there was no adapters required. In other words, the meter plugged in directly the the dash plug with no adapter required.
Thank you, Darrell
Probably because the gauge you got was actually FOR the HHR.
Turns out mine was from a Cobalt and apparently the GM engineers are real jokester *******s and made the connections different.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Technical Moderator

I posted what the "book" says the connectors are. They are different part numbers but look the same to me.

Since the brand is also an after market supplier, I wonder if it might not be original equipment.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I posted what the "book" says the connectors are. They are different part numbers but look the same to me.

Since the brand is also an after market supplier, I wonder if it might not be original equipment.
Hi Don, thanks for all that. Very interesting reading.
Apparently, those sadistic GM engineers decided to throw me a curve ball. Seems like they basically swapped the male and female ends between the HHR and the "Balt.

One of my FB friends sent me a female piece that has three out of the four connectors and I am going to try to jury rig things using the info you shared.

Not terribly optimistic about my chances, but I will try before admitting defeat and getting someone else to wire it for me.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Technical Moderator

If it is just a matter of male/female go to the parts dept. armed with the part numbers.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos

Maybe I'm missing something. You have a Male to Female connector plugs.
Are you saying the pins from one don't line up to the other?

Edit: The more I look at this picture there are two wires that aren't going up and down but sideways. All you have to do is take those two wires and take them out of the socket and put them in the correct slots on the connector so they go up and down.

Last edited by Cat Man HHR; 06-17-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Maybe I'm missing something. You have a Male to Female connector plugs.
Are you saying the pins from one don't line up to the other?

Edit: The more I look at this picture there are two wires that aren't going up and down but sideways. All you have to do is take those two wires and take them out of the socket and put them in the correct slots on the connector so they go up and down.
Not that simple. Both of the black connectors are THE SAME. Each one has four male and four female connections, but they are THE SAME connections, in the same orientation not each one's opposite.

Quick Reply: 2010 HHR SS Adding turbo gauge to A pillar