"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Adding a 2nd Aux Hook-up to 07 HHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM

Adding a 2nd Aux Hook-up to 07 HHR

Hey all,

I'm a HHR nut, and I have a few threads worth looking at. This one however will discuss how to add a 2nd AUX Jack for you HHR. I want to do this, because I have my sirius hooked up and I would like to have an open port in the front of my radio, and seeing as my Sirius is AWLAYS plugged in, I would have an unsightly cable just looking ugly.

I plan on having a full write up for this Mod in about a week or less. I will show you pictures with full detail. I will use stuff you can find at Radio shack very easily. This is so I can hide the wire for Direct Hookup of my Sirius, and make my dash look pretty! Enjoy. Some Pics to start off with, coming soon.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 PM

So just so i get this straight.

You are going to be adding a second AUX jack to somewhere other then the face of the head unit. If that's true.

You have my attention.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 PM

yes can't wait for write up. I want to hide my hook up for my xm. It is in the front and I hate looking at the cable every day
Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by twistrman

You are going to be adding a second AUX jack to somewhere other then the face of the head unit. If that's true.

You have my attention.
Sounds like we are hiding the fact that the Sirius is connected to the AUX input. Basically split it or tap it on the inside of the stereo at the AUX input and run it out the side wall or back of the deck itself. Then you still have the AUX jack available in the front of the deck, just make sure you turn off the sirus first. That's why I never even consider keeping the stock deck of any car. Always JUNK, I'm sorry, but if your a stereo guy, that's how it goes. Buy something with all the bells and whistles you need and/or want and chuck it in. This is a great mod idea for the purpose, for sure. Nice for something permanently installed to be permanently INVISIBLE, unless need be. I guess I would just skip the whole problem by chucking the stock deck, myself. Regardless, HOW-2S-R-GOOD
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM

You have my attention.

That is exactly what I am doing, i was thinking routing it to go to the fuse block on the right side of the vehicle, so it's easy to hook up. You will still have the AUX on the front of the head unit.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ballplr
yes can't wait for write up. I want to hide my hook up for my xm. It is in the front and I hate looking at the cable every day
Soon enough, have patience. Plan on having this complete in a week with pics and everything.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 PM

dj --> Not trying to hide anything. This is a pretty simple idea and like me i think is fine, and I don't need a monster audio system for a car I drive in to and from work and am only in fow an hour or so everyday. Plus i like my hearing, LOL! But I do agree with you about buying a radio with Two AUX, but Not sure if any even have this. Thanks.

TO ALL: This WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY and I assume no liability in that as well. MOD-ON!!!

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 03-01-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 PM

Why don't you just install a Sirius FM Direct adapter and hard wire the power & ground to the inside fuse box. The adapter just plugs in to the antenna cable then do the power & ground and your done. better sound no fading in & out ???
Old 02-24-2009, 09:47 PM

my problem with aftermarket systems, is exactly what they are, aftermarket and they look after market. Yes you can do very custom installs and it looks more like part of the vehicle, but it is still obviously after market.

My point being behind this is security. I had a unit I put in in my last vehicle, and I got so tired of putting the face plate on and off for my short trips (pretty much everything) that I just stopped doing it and would drive in silence. Such a PITA. Yeah I could leave it on and then have a higher risk of it being yanked and then have no system on my longer trips (5+ hours to see my family) I have had my car broken into before and luckily my faceplate wasn't there, and I have had the car next to mine broken into with the stereo jacked, and my car was fine with the faceplate off (the last one was at avery upscale apartment complex). On the car I told myself I would just get the best setup GM offered and use it.

But they really need a aux input in the back, that's just smart. Would love one of the new radios with the USB, but that can wait.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:47 AM

my problem with aftermarket systems, is exactly what they are, aftermarket and they look after market. Yes you can do very custom installs and it looks more like part of the vehicle, but it is still obviously after market.

My point being behind this is security. I had a unit I put in in my last vehicle, and I got so tired of putting the face plate on and off for my short trips (pretty much everything) that I just stopped doing it and would drive in silence. Such a PITA. Yeah I could leave it on and then have a higher risk of it being yanked and then have no system on my longer trips (5+ hours to see my family) I have had my car broken into before and luckily my faceplate wasn't there, and I have had the car next to mine broken into with the stereo jacked, and my car was fine with the faceplate off (the last one was at avery upscale apartment complex). On the car I told myself I would just get the best setup GM offered and use it.

But they really need a aux input in the back, that's just smart. Would love one of the new radios with the USB, but that can wait.

Well, To All:

I have completed this mod, and it works perfectly. I will have a fulll write up with pictures soon. It's Super Easy!!!!!

Quick Reply: Adding a 2nd Aux Hook-up to 07 HHR