"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Door Lock Assembly Fix: Lots of Pics

Old 10-01-2017, 06:02 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnT
I cannot find a motor with the gear attached. Can someone tell me if the gear can be removed from old motor a placed on new motor? Thanks JohnT
Did you read post #4?

The implication is: yes, they can be pulled off. Otherwise he wouldn't know it was a tight fit.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Did you read post #4?

The implication is: yes, they can be pulled off. Otherwise he wouldn't know it was a tight fit.
yes I read the whole blog. But it want clear. I guess I too will live and learn. Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 11:17 AM

yes I read the whole blog. But it want clear. I guess I too will live and learn. Thanks
Can anyone tell me if the motor shaft is 10mm long? I'm having trouble finding that exact motor. Thanks
Old 10-13-2017, 01:29 PM

Google... is your friend.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1191&bih=640
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
​​​​​​​i have been googling for weeks to no avail. I just can't find the exact motor. Thank you for your help.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:52 PM

​​​​​​​i have been googling for weeks to no avail. I just can't find the exact motor. Thank you for your help.
Sometimes Google tries to slightly change your search terms. Above the results you can tell it to stick to what you specified. I had to be tough with Google... Sometimes you even have to put quotes around your terms.

OP has the same model year as you, so that should be the correct part. Glad to help.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:26 PM

How do you know it is the Motor which is bad...

Hello, I have had this issue with door lock not latching and staying open on the rear passenger and happened to fix it by replacing the actuator myself, thanks to this forum and all the helpful folks here.

Now the front driver door is exhibiting the same behavior - Door will not lock/latch when pushed from outside or pulled from inside. No matter how hard I pressed. And for some reason, the HHR actuator prices are thru the roof. Nearly $150-200 for a brand new one and $60-$75 for really used/rusted repaired ones on ebay. Dealer quoted me $239.xx. Most other brands can be found new for $40-$80. Hence decided to repair the part myself if I can.

Took the actuator out. And drenched it with almost a 1/4 can of WD40. And left it overnight.

Next day, played with the actuator locking mechanism/lever and it would engage in the first position. But when pushed back with the screw driver or equiv, it will go back into open state. Is that normal. I doubt, as the back door I tried, it would not.

Put the lock lever into 2nd position, now it will not push back. Connected the same to power and using the door switch, I could hear the lock engage and it will not open, even with the cord pulled. Once I unlock using the door lock switch, then pull the cord, it unlocked just fine (lever came back in open position).

I even tried placing the actuator on the car hinge (where the door lock would engage) and pushed it as if I was slamming the door shut. It worked some what - engage sometimes and sometimes not. Wish I had tried a few times to really confirm.

So thinking that Motor must be fine since it is engaging using the vehicle power/door switch, I put everything back together and to my horror, same issue. Push the door shut and will bounce back out.

Only positive thing is if I press the door hard enough, the lock engages and then I engage the door lock switch, lock engages fully and is then safe to drive.

Plus the remote switch, that pop-up and down lever near the window and door handle all works too.

So Q: If the motor is bad, how does a good motor prevent the locking lever when in position 1, to be pushed back to open .

or in other words, when you simply push the door closed, does the Motor even come into play !?

We only have 2 working cars and hence had to put everything back. Need some confirmation before I take it apart to replace the motor. And I do have that small motor from RC cars/science projects, not sure if that would work (it does not have part # printed on it). The shaft is about 1 cm and is smooth, round with no teeth/gear.

Thanks for reading this thru and for your help.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:40 PM

Would it be cheaper to go to a boneyard and take the whole unit out ?
Old 08-01-2022, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by hurst2001
Would it be cheaper to go to a boneyard and take the whole unit out ?
Oh and the fun & satisfaction to fix it yourself... !?

Never been to one. Most parts online are priced decently in my experience so far. But buying an HHR part first time post-pandemic and had a sticker shock. Strangely brand new Toyota, Honda & other Chevy & some European car's actuators are priced $30-$60. Just HHR's price is nutz.

Anyway, the car was seating in the sun all afternoon today, I decided to move the car in the garage and take the door apart again and open the actuator & check the motor & other parts. But guess what, the door magically started locking fine now (when pushed from outside or pulled from inside w/o any force). Just a gentle/regular push is engaging the lock. Tried it like 10-15 times and worked every time except for once. Not sure what gives.

Even the lock lever (on the actuator) test in position 1, I can no longer push it back to open position with force or with a screw driver. I tried a lot of force. But prior, it would go back to open with slight force. I will see how it goes next few days.

If it keeps working, could it be the lubricant now taking effect (1/4 can) & the sun heating on the door somehow !?
Old 08-02-2022, 06:35 AM
Administrator

The lubricant could be the answer, corrosion and dirt might have been the problem.