"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by DaGrinch
Thanks kind Sirs..... I appreciate the replies.
I did search for the code on the site before posting anything, which brought me to this thread as well as the one recommended above. I tried the fuel cap replacement - no good. So, I crawled under the car and checked everything else. All was good. So, down to the friendly AdvanceAuto and, typical me, forgot to write down the part number listed by the OP. Tried to wing it, got the wrong part. Took it back and by pure luck the counter girl said the part needed was the CPV43.
So, it's ordered and should be in Wednesday. I hope so... I plan to take a day trip next weekend to the *gulp* part of the state where no one has any sense: outside of Baltimore. Best break out my body armor - seems like they have at least a couple shootings a day down that part of O'Malley's Kingdom.
I don't get it. Where's the beef?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM

No beef.... I originally just wanted to know if there may have been a different culprit to cause the code than the solenoid. Not hearing anything, I started my own process of elimination. Turns out, evidently the solenoid is the culprit. I just need to do things my own way sometimes - especially if they are relatively minor in nature. Something big and difficult? I probably would go straight for the jugular.
When the City Fathers named a new Chief of Police almost 7 years ago, the newly named Chief called me into his office and asked what I thought about something. Being his Administrative Lt., I told him I would give him my best thoughts. However, I did tend to think of things a little different than some of my associates. I'm not sure if it's carried over into everyday life, or if I took it from everyday life to my work.
Thanks for the patience.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Technical Moderator

Double entendre. Remember the Wendy's commercials? A joke.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Technical Moderator

This is not the "Solenoid" it lives under the hood. This is the "purge valve" it lives under the car.

Duralast (AutoZone) others have variations of the P/Ns
under hood PV443
under gas tank PV483

They even confuse the names.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Here is a link to replacing the related component (EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid Valve)that is located under the hood: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/check-engine-code-help-26431/
Old 12-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
This is not the "Solenoid" it lives under the hood. This is the "purge valve" it lives under the car.

Duralast (AutoZone) others have variations of the P/Ns
under hood PV443
under gas tank PV483

They even confuse the names.
In GM-speak, the under-tank one is the Evap Solenoid and the under-hood one is the Purge Solenoid.

The Evap Solenoid allows the fill pipe/tank to vent into the carbon canister during filling and periodically during operation to keep vapor pressure in the tank down.

The Purge Solenoid allows the engine to suck the trapped vapors from the canister into the engine at specified times.

It's all about keeping the vapors out of the air, and getting them into the engine.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Technical Moderator

It would be nice if the parts books could figure a way to all be the same & not use the same name for different part numbers.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:14 PM
JWA

Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I got this code with 156k on my 08 SS. Did some research and tried the 2 parts (and the gas cap) in this thread with no luck. Did some more net searching and still came back here. Watched the video in another thread which got me thinking. Being such that I am an avionics tech on F-15s I followed my hunch and went after the wiring. Yep had an open wire in the harness in the rear of the car. I tried a repair and even though the harness was checking out the code was still showing up. Did not want to pay the $160($250) for an 18 inch 2 wire / 2 connector harness I went to the local J-yard and got a used one for $10. Since it had the old style connector I put my original EVAP valve back in. Yippee! All codes cleared and my remote start works again
The reasoning of why the harness was bad? I live out in the sticks on oiled gravel roads and I suspect I took a hit from a rock that got a lucky shot and slipped right past the plastic corrugated sleeve and poked a hole in the wire. With the normal wet weather around here it corroded over time and finally broke causing the P0449 code. After one week and another 720 miles it still is working.
Part number for the harness 15786741 and runs from the EVAP valve to the bulkhead on the right side of the body just forward of the fuel tank.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:27 PM

JWA thank you for sharing that makes a nice addition to this post
Old 03-30-2014, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the help

I am having the same issue with my 2007. I tried the new gas cap since it was quick and cheap but now its time to look a little deeper. Today I plan on checking the wiring as per this discussion...
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/p0449-code-20547/
If I don't find anything there, I will be working on following this list.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Replacement