"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to remove Passenger seat.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:04 PM

How to remove Passenger seat.

This is my first post, so forgive any issues, that I might start.

Has any body noticed that the Pass seat seems to sit just a little taller than the drivers side?

MY o6 amethyst HHR pass seat needs to be lowered to make me more comfortable. I took a quick
look and did not seem to find any bolts that went thru the floor, and there seems to be some kinda cover down under.

I am thinking I could modify the supports somehow, maybe???? Or is there a kit out there yet???

Last edited by galladanb; 04-19-2006 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 PM
Deceased

it is easy
if you look on the back of the seat there are 2 dark colored covers.

Reach to the front of the cover and hold it snug and pull up and back. you will find the 2 bolts that hold them on. they are tight and they used lock tite to hold them in. they dont need it, believe me.

After you take the 2 out, then slide the seat all the way back as far as you can. lean it forward and you will see 2 slots,,, gently lift the seat up and back. you have to unplug the seat and do this with the seat leaned forward as far as u can so you can see it.

then try to hold it so it doesnt scratch the door when you remove it. i dont think there is any way to lower it at all but i have an LS w cloth seats and not an LT but good luck.

to put the seat back in, lean it forward position and set it back in the slots. plug the wires back in the harness. ease the seat back and on the arm back there and you will need to release the seat to get the bolts back in position. When you put the bolts back in their spots, tighten and then pop the plastic covers back on.

one important thing about the wires under the seat.... do not start the car with it unplugged. if you have to start it,,, set the seat in place and plug the wire harness back in. good luck
Old 04-20-2006, 03:55 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by cj krause
one important thing about the wires under the seat.... do not start the car with it unplugged.
Why? What will happen? Will the car blow up?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Deceased

Originally Posted by jx3
Why? What will happen? Will the car blow up?
i was told at Chevy that if you start it the computer doesnt read the seats there and it may discharge your airbag on that side since there is a sensor there for seat belt and air bag or jack the puter up and have to be reprogrammed.

hey, NO WAY DO I WANT TO FIND OUT, DO YOU
Old 04-20-2006, 11:57 AM

Hey, I am one for un pluggin the battery BEFORE pulling anything out...

And you are right CJ, I do not wanna find out how well the
airbags work!!!!

I hope I never have to find out, if ya know what I mean!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM

disconnect the battery..
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by cj krause
i was told at Chevy that if you start it the computer doesnt read the seats there and it may discharge your airbag on that side since there is a sensor there for seat belt and air bag or jack the puter up and have to be reprogrammed.

hey, NO WAY DO I WANT TO FIND OUT, DO YOU
Hey, I removed my seat to remove my drivers side door panel which wouldn't open from the inside or the outside, Being excited that I was able to fix both of my door handles I re-installed everything back into my car. Everything except for the plugs for the sensors!!!

I GOT LUCKY!!! I hopped right into my hhr and turned it on not even thinking about the plugs. The airbags did NOT deploy!!! I remembered reading you post about this and instantly turned the car off and put the plug back in.
I'M NOT SAYING YOU SHOULD UNPLUG YOUR SENSORS BUT I JUST FIGURED I'D LET YOU GUYS KNOW I DIDN'T GET A PUNCH IN THE FACE
Old 10-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Just utilized post #8 again. CJ Krause, you rule!!!

...and, I was truly once a GM engineer. Still, I was struggling with how to remove these seats. Hell, I just want to clean under there!!! Years of spilled pop and stray Doritos... yeah, you don't really wanna know more. Thx again CJ!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Just utilized post #8 again. CJ Krause, you rule!!!

...and, I was truly once a GM engineer. Still, I was struggling with how to remove these seats. Hell, I just want to clean under there!!! Years of spilled pop and stray Doritos... yeah, you don't really wanna know more. Thx again CJ!!!
2 bolts and that saying, "So easy a caveman can do it."

I've had mine out a couple times. Hardest part is getting them past the door frame without rubbing and scratching the paint. (been lucky so far)
I wonder if it's easier to try to take the seats out via the back hatch ?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
2 bolts and that saying, "So easy a caveman can do it."

I've had mine out a couple times. Hardest part is getting them past the door frame without rubbing and scratching the paint. (been lucky so far)
I wonder if it's easier to try to take the seats out via the back hatch ?
Perhaps so. Once you've removed the 2, lean it back, and remove it with it reclined?

Quick Reply: How to remove Passenger seat.