"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How To Carpet In The Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Smile How To Carpet In The Back

HOW TO ADD CARPET TO THE BACK

NEED:
1 roll of automotive carpet
pair of siccors
about 5' of adhesive Velcro or more, depends on how you do it
about 30min to 45min
a friend would be good!
and good music.... (most important)
[/CENTER]

Ok, one thing i didn't like was that the whole backend was plastic and all my stuff would slide around and make a lot of noise and no one around here has a mat that i like for the back... so this is what i did, i went to walmart and picked up a roll of automotive carpet, and alot of velcro.

first part i did was the storage area lid/shelf/whatever it is. it is the easiest
take the carpet and lay it over the top and hold it at the end closest to the hatch.

then wrap it around to the other side there is like a kinda lip

and it is great for the velcro and it keeps it in place. place velcro evenly around the edge of the carpet

next are the two small lids, just take a narrow strip and cut it to size for both of those and velcro around the edge, remember to round the corners of the carpet so it looks a little better.

now the fun part,

you can do this or choose not to, all up to you the seats need to be cleaned good, i used alchol and let it dry, but you will want to cut out how you want the carpet to look on each seat, i found it more appealling to follow the back of the seat, its got kind of a indention

in it and you just line the carpet up and cut it out and round the corners. when you use the velcro you can either start at the top or the bottom, if from the top then remember to leave about 1inch at the bottom, starting at the top stick the velcro on the seat(PRESS SUPER HARD, so it will adhere better, trust me this is my second go around on the seats because i didn't press down on them) i found it easier to go in rows, do one row then prepare the next then do it, so on and so forth till you get to the bottom, if you look at the base of the seat you will see it has a small curve, if you use a small strip of velcro right there it will keep it in place, remember the extra Inch? tuck it into the space, this makes it so when you move the seat from down to the sitting position it wont catch on the carpet.

Your all done, enjoy!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:47 PM

Good job--And great pix too!

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM

good idea

looks like it's a pretty good match to grey that's on the dash. i may try to do this to my panel's doors. i load plastic totes in there every mourning. even though they are plastic , they are very hard , have a wire hinge. i have already got a few scratches.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:57 PM

great write up...excellent quality pics.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 PM

thank ya
Old 11-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Great write up and pictures! I'm interested in doing this myself, as I have the same problems with things moving around and making noise. How much would all of this cost?
Old 11-25-2010, 03:07 PM

I usually use a cargo blanket when transporting my kid's BMX race bikes, which was one of the reasons that I bought the HHR in the first place. I have a factory carpet for the cargo area floor, but can certainly use this advice for the rear seat backs and the bin covers. I had no idea that Walmart carried automotive carpet either.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Deceased

Spiffy, very nice job.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Very Nice job & How to..

This is what I did in my Panel, scored a (NOS) Ford/Harley Edition Bed Mat off ebay, made a pattern & precisely trimmed to fit, & it is also Non-skid surface..
I weighed everything & when mat was cut to final fit, only added 11 lbs over the stock HHR mat.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2010, 12:18 PM

slip

Does this carpet hold things in place better than the stock mats? I have a stock mat, and have turned it over (rubber side up) to hold things in place so they don't slide around.

Quick Reply: How To Carpet In The Back