"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to fix wiper transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Technical Moderator

You will never get Dorman to commit to a specific fitment for an "assortment". Most of the time they won't commit to anything in the "Help" line. Some parts they do, but they do production purchases/runs once, then future cars are not included in the fitment guide.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:07 PM

Our 06 broke Christmas eve and thanks to this post I removed bolts and slid plastic cover up. Stopped wipers in full motion and drilled small hole through ball joint.

Bolted together with grease on inside some washers on the outside and two nuts locked together to be sure it isn't and won't over tighten.

Works great and maybe took 30 minutes.

Thank you again and Happy new year and be safe!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM

Well, I tried the plastic bushing from the Dorman assortment and it worked....for a whole 20ish wiper swings then it popped off again. Looks like I'm going to have to try to find access to a drill and do the bolt method.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the info. We will give it a try if/when we make it home through this snow storm without wipers...
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

thanks a ton for this post! saved me a ton of $

fyi...my DS was broken where it meets the transmission. i had to drill a hole through the whole thing, put a bolt/nut/washer through it, and as of right now its working. fingers crossed it continues
Old 04-15-2014, 05:37 PM

Smile Wiper Transmission Repair

Great fix. My driver's side let go today. Weather -4 C going to -10 C. Welcome to Canada! Less than an hour to complete. Will keep you posted how long it lasts.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 AM

Im having the same problem with my 2009. I was going to go grab one of a wrecked car to get me through till I can trade it in. what other years are compatible?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by LinkX
I had today a broken wiper, one arm was swinging free, the other jammed, = no wipers, so I went to the dealer to find out they don't stock this & have to buy the whole trans @ $112.00. Too much, plus I use my car for service calls. So I am gonna fix it my self.
1. open hood, remove wiper arms and cowl cover, you will need a 15mm & 7mm sockets
2. unplug the wires from the wiper motor
3. with a 10mm socket remove three bolts that hold the assembly to the cowl.
4. if one of the ends of the linkage on the far end s (away from the motor) is popping off, this is what we can fix
5. need a #10 x24 tap and the correct drill bit(25?) pop the arm off of the stud, clean and center punch the stud in the depression, drill all the way thru, use a drill press if available, tap stud, drill a #10 hole in the middle of the plastic cap, use a bolt(stainless) long enough to stick out on the other side, use washers on both sides and finish with a nylock, tighten bolt on cap end so the is a touch of play, then use the nyloc nut to jam against the bottom, locking the assembly in place.

I will be testing mine this winter, it seems solid enough, the bolt only keeps it fron popping off, it doesen't use it a a wear surface.

During a moment of boredom could you post up a pic. This sounds great but I'm a visual learner.

Ok That was weird I thought I went through all the pages and missed the one that looks like what you described.
Hit a button and the pics were there. Where is the face palm emojii
Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM
Technical Moderator

Originally Posted by Fox Hat
Where is the face palm emojii

Either click on "go advanced" then choose "more", quote a post then choose "more" or surround the letters duh with colons ":" duh ":" .
Old 05-18-2014, 08:44 PM

Ahh found it .

Great job with the pics I eventually found. Was able, with sons bit of help, in the rain to get the job done in about 20 or so mins

Quick Reply: How to fix wiper transmission