"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

How to repair flex pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 PM

How to repair flex pipe

This is my first how to with only a few pictures(via google and my ebay purchase) so please bare with me!

First of all you will need to have welding equipment or know someone that will do some welding work for you. in my case a buddy of mine welds so we did it in his driveway. the bad part is i didn't take any pics which i'm kinda mad about!

1st step is to buy a new flex pipe. i found one on ebay for $37. the one i purchased lined right up on the down pipe and was just a hair bigger than the stock exhaust pipe to make it an easy weld.
[IMG][/IMG]

2. if you have a lift it'll be much easier to get it done but i put the front of the car on two jackstands. PULL E-BRAKE!!!!

3. unbolt 3 bolts on down pipe(15mm)

4. unbolt O2 sensor (easy to find, after catalytic converter)i had a special socket for the O2 sensor. it is pretty fragile

5. remove 2 bolts from resonator(i believe)
this is where is ran into a problem. one bolt was too rusted to even move. so we grinded it off and used a new nut and bolt

6. now the section of exhaust should come right out. should be about 3 feet long (just to give you an idea)

7. we cut the old flex portion off. cut it right near the old weld, which was near the blue line on pic below

8. pipe "A" above will fit right inside of new flex fitting

9. slide it together and put back under the car and hand tighten all of the bolt as you will be removing it all again.

10. tack weld the new flex pipe so it will hold exactly where you need it.

11. remove the section of exhaust again

12. completely weld the new section all the way around

13. i sprayed the whole welded area with galvinizing paint(may not be needed)

14. reconnect the section and completely tighten bolts

15. reconnect O2 sensor

16. all finished!!!!!! took us (3 people) about 2 hours

hopefully this will help everybody out!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:17 AM

that was awesome, thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Nice - it's a good procedure to have documented here.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:46 AM

Also, keep in mind that GM will replace that free under the 96 month/80000 mile federal emission/catalytic conv. and pcm warranty.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by db/sb
Also, keep in mind that GM will replace that free under the 96 month/80000 mile federal emission/catalytic conv. and pcm warranty.
seriously? my dealership said it was not powertrain and because i was out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty (i had about 45,000 miles and like 36-40 months old) that it would cost me, or else i would've let a dealer do it. But i guess im glad i could help some people out on here!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:07 PM

my hhr has 44k on it and the dealer replace it free of charge thanks jba chevy
Old 08-24-2012, 11:21 AM

I had mine done for about $250, car had 82K thousand miles at the time.
Funny thing was the guy that did it said he orders about 50 of those flex pipes at a time. He's done a lot of them.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:20 PM

Not True

Originally Posted by db/sb
No, they won't.

I just went in to have the headliner recall work and also told them to check for noise coming from below the pedals area. I would feel and hear vibration and grinding noises when shifting turning at low speeds and accelerating at town speeds. THEY COULDN'T find the problem, they knew it was the exhaust they just didn't know what exactly. Tech guessed convertor. I left and went to a muffler shop and the guy there found the flex pipe issue in about 20 seconds on the lift. Brought it back to dealer and told them and they gave me a ridiculous quote for parts and labor. I was told by two different people there who should know this sort of thing that this repair IS NOT covered under the 96/80,000. My 06 HHR has only 56,000. I left dealer and went to muffler shop where they did the work the next day in about an hour for a total of about 1/3 what the dealer quoted.

Chippewa Falls, WI.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by silverstreet
No, they won't.

I just went in to have the headliner recall work and also told them to check for noise coming from below the pedals area. I would feel and hear vibration and grinding noises when shifting turning at low speeds and accelerating at town speeds. THEY COULDN'T find the problem, they knew it was the exhaust they just didn't know what exactly. Tech guessed convertor. I left and went to a muffler shop and the guy there found the flex pipe issue in about 20 seconds on the lift. Brought it back to dealer and told them and they gave me a ridiculous quote for parts and labor. I was told by two different people there who should know this sort of thing that this repair IS NOT covered under the 96/80,000. My 06 HHR has only 56,000. I left dealer and went to muffler shop where they did the work the next day in about an hour for a total of about 1/3 what the dealer quoted.

Chippewa Falls, WI.
Perhaps you need to find a different dealer as well as different people for automotive advice. The converter is part of the emissions contol system and is covered by the above mentioned warranty. They replaced ours at 60300 miles, no charge.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:23 PM

I should stress this post is for a 2.4 or 2.2.....not sure about the SS.

and db/sb: I believe you about the warranty...its unfortunate, but the dealers ive dealt with are not trustworthy, and they will empty out your bank account with useless "services" that they perform and recommend...Some one I know paid over$100 for "fuel system service" on his lexus SUV...it had 26,000 miles on it you cannot trust a dealership in my opinion

and besides...back when I did this, the fix cost me $37(not bad) and I learned a few things

Quick Reply: How to repair flex pipe