Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   "How To" Tutorial Library (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/)
-   -   Keyfob cold solder repair (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/keyfob-cold-solder-repair-22641/)

Snoopy 03-31-2009 06:54 PM

Nice write-up Jeff...

AND I like your choice of equipment (for someone that does that work "seldom";))

Jeff® 04-01-2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy (Post 372441)
AND I like your choice of equipment (for someone that does that work "seldom";))

Well, when I was a bench tech... (early 80's) I soldered all day, every day. My favorite soldering iron just stayed with me. Didn't need reading glasses then either. :lol:

Big Kahuna 04-01-2009 09:13 AM

Great write up and "how to" photos... :thumb:

My fiance's remote stopped working last winter and I opened up the remote to find the same issue with the poor connections of the battery holder to the board.

I was a bit afraid to "screw up" with a soldering gun in such a small area, so I used a small dab of "super-glue gel" on each of the small tabs with a toothpick and it has been holding and working great ever since.

If I wasn't so afraid to screw it up with a solding gun, I would have done what you did.

:eek:

JayKWills 04-01-2009 09:33 AM

This happened to both of ours luckily they were still under the warranty so they replaced them at no charge. Because i can't sodier?

mchuntley 04-06-2009 08:01 PM

Anybody have hints of fixing sticky remote buttons?
On one fob, I can unlock, but not lock...

Jeff® 04-07-2009 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by mchuntley (Post 373919)
Anybody have hints of fixing sticky remote buttons?
On one fob, I can unlock, but not lock...

CRC Electronics parts cleaner spray.

There are two kinds. one is for electro-mechanical parts like motors and has a picture of a motor on the can. DO NOT USE THIS!!! it will melt the plastic. The other is for electronic components and circuit boards. You can spray this liberally on the device. Probably a good idea to open it up and remove the battery first. This will desolve any oils/gums that are sticking it up and blast them out. let it dry for an hour before putting it back together.

Decades ago, that stuff was called tuner spray or contact cleaner.

GrotesqueFetus6 04-15-2009 04:19 PM

when i bought my hhr used . the key fob didnt work cuz of the same problem. they gave me a second new key fob for free. but wanted me to pay 80 bucks to program it . so i just fixed the broken one with just adding a piece of paper under the case to hold the U shape thing and battery . it works perfect since ive done that :D

wrusprod 06-23-2009 09:45 AM

same problem here..thanks for the writeup with pictures!

SOMBERSHARK0714 06-23-2009 05:20 PM

yeah , the fobs contact points have came apart, on both my wife's & my fobs. I instantly knew what to do both times & i never had to look at this thread, matter of fact, this is the 1st time i saw this thread !

but its good that this thread is up, to warn people about a pending problem & how to correct it. Kudos !

TomsHHR 06-27-2009 08:53 PM

It was mentioned to me when I had lock problems, also check to see if all your door lock buttons both lock and unlock all of the doors, My issue is a connection issue and I need to dig into the BCM location and check wires. The driver door has it's own circuit and the passenger and rear doors work from a second relay. In my case the driver door is ok and the passenger front door but the 2 back doors do not always work.