"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Manual Trans shift knob removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:33 PM

Manual Trans shift knob removal

Turn the top of the boot and slide it down out of the way, there are four white fingers on the shift knob that are exposed once you slide the boot down (I'm talking Manual since I don't know how the Auto is designed). These four fingers have a raised part at the bottom that grips into a groove cut into the shifter shaft. Once you pry these away the knob simply lifts off of the shaft. If you want to replace the knob your best bet is to thread the shaft using a 12mmx1.25 die, you can also cut some of the shaft down first to make it a short shifter. Once you've threaded the shaft you can install a miriad of aftermarket knobs, many manufactures use this thread as their standard thread size therefore you can use any knob made for them. An example would be the knobs for the Ford Focus. They use the same thread pitch. Some of the knobs you find will be opened up at the bottom for a reverse lock out, if that's the case just use the knob without it.

BTW: You will see that after you remove the stock knob the shifter shaft has a flat area, this is to align the stock knob. Don't worry about this flat area, you can still thread the shaft and install an after market knob.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 07-24-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:53 AM

How easy is it to thread it? I had mine removed just looking to replace and noticed it was clipped in...making it not so easy to change. I was going to get a short throw but If I could just thread, then replace, that'd be delightful.

You also said to shave off to shorten. Would that be harmful or would it just be the same results as a short throw, just not aftermarket.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:41 AM

Just changed my knob to a basic aluminum one, nothing fancy. Had to do it because the chrome was peeling on the stock knob and cutting into fingers. The one I bought by fluke was a friction fit knob so no threading required. One problem remains though, now the boot is just floating there with the top open, I don't like that. The boot used to lock onto the white clips from the stock knob, which all broke btw when pried away from the notch. So what to do now?

What have you guys done about the floating boot? Found another way to secure and close it off? or just let it hang open?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Rubber grommet that snug fits the boot...