"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Rear sidermarkers as turn signals...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Rear sidermarkers as turn signals...

NOTE: I found out the hard way the sidemarkers will come on when the brakes are pressed, I dont mind but some might, sorry I didnt know this before.

This was in the middle of another thread I had, so I decided to start a new one with just this in it

Ok, you need more wire then the front, if you got the roll in the package then that is more then enough.

you have to take everything out of the back, till you get to the spare tire area, then take the molding off near the bumper/hatch latch, it pops right off, and take those door things off like you would to replace the bulbs.

and in the area under the holding there are wires, you will see where the wires run into the car at the center, they are wrapped in tape follow them to about near the battery, pull some of the tape off.

there are 4 wires, 2 brown, 2 black, I cut 1 black at a time to see what side it goes to, then you attach the wire that runs to the marker, just like the front is done, and run the wire to the area where you replace the taillight bulbs, and use them blue splicers and hook it to the yellow wire on the driver side, its a diff color on the pass but its always to off color to the taillight, never the brown or black running to your taillight.

then you do the same with the other black wire running from the other marker.

Here are pics!!

the red connectors are where I cut into the marker wire

Last edited by charles04; 07-29-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:20 PM

I tried this with test light and they will come on when the brake is pressed if you do not have parking lights on. if parking lights are on then they go off when brake is pressed. i have an 08 ls not sure if that changes things though.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by HHROwner
I tried this with test light and they will come on when the brake is pressed if you do not have parking lights on. if parking lights are on then they go off when brake is pressed. i have an 08 ls not sure if that changes things though.
hm, I will check it out and see if I can see why it would
Old 07-29-2009, 11:01 PM

you are correct, I hadn't caught that at first, I apologize!!!

I will try to fix it, I know a way around it, just gotta look into it, I'll post when I get the info this weekend, I am really sorry.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by charles04
you are correct, I hadn't caught that at first, I apologize!!!

I will try to fix it, I know a way around it, just gotta look into it, I'll post when I get the info this weekend, I am really sorry.
I will be oing this to my vehicle. I plan on just running a wire from the Front Marker Lights which I already converted to blinkers and run them to each side rear marker light. Problem fixed. Kind of a pain though. The problem lies in the rear supply voltage for the Tail lights, is stop and Turn. The front supply voltage for the turn signal is dedicated for turn only.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:39 AM

that's what I'm gonna try to do too....I did some looking into the wiring and the front turn signal wires originate at the BCM in the dash so this would be easier, just haven't tracked the wires down yet on the BCM.....

Charles04 - all is good, we do not know if things will work until we try.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:37 AM

This Should Help!!!!

that's what I'm gonna try to do too....I did some looking into the wiring and the front turn signal wires originate at the BCM in the dash so this would be easier, just haven't tracked the wires down yet on the BCM.....

Charles04 - all is good, we do not know if things will work until we try.

This should help Here is the Wiring Diagram and the BCM Plug So you can Identify which one is correct:

Driver's Side is Position 35
Passenger's Side is Position 17

I hope this helps.

Name:  BCM_C1_1.jpg
Views: 6317
Size:  87.0 KB
Name:  BCM_C1_2.jpg
Views: 7833
Size:  130.9 KB
Name:  Lighting_Diagram.jpg
Views: 8666
Size:  84.7 KB
Old 07-30-2009, 03:12 PM

I just felt bad because I didnt mean to get people cutting wires and such if it isnt right.

live and learn I guess lol.

but yeah, that was my plan, I know the wire runs to the hood, so the easiest will be to intercept it in the hood, and run the wire to the sidemarkers.

thanks for the diagram!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 PM

your welcome, if you ever need any diagrams, I got them from 2008 and back.