"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Very clever fix! Where did you get the plastic windscreen to replace the original?
It looks pretty good.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM
jx3

Originally Posted by HHRANGE 2006
Very clever fix! Where did you get the plastic windscreen to replace the original?
It looks pretty good.
Maggie at RAS offers one........

http://www.raceandstreet.net/Merchan...ory_Code=HHR-E
Old 12-06-2007, 11:26 PM

nice how-to for guys who have the sunroof issue
Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dan's HHR
nice how-to for guys who have the sunroof issue
I KNOW RITE.. LUCKY YOU HUH???......FIRST ITS THE ANNOYING SUNROOF RATTLE AND NOW THIS, WHEN WILL IT END,
Old 12-31-2008, 03:02 PM

I am so glad that I remembered this forum! I stumbled across it when I first bought my 2006 HHR last year and after that dang rivot broke on my moon roof a few months ago, I recently thought to come here to see if anyone else had it happen to them. At least now I know that I'm not the only one. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago & got the same story - they have to replace the entire assembly (to the tune of $500-$600). At least it's winter in Chicago right now & I won't be using it for awhile.

Does anyone have any pictures of their HHR with the plastic screen installed? I'd like to see how it looks on one before I make the decision to either buy one or suck it up & pay for the replacement.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:06 PM
Founding Member

There is a fix for this now without replacing the assembly. I would call the Service Manger at your purchasing dealer reference the bulletin below and ask if he will fix it as Goodwill. Tact goes a long way in these type of negotiations.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=1919&page=19
Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
There is a fix for this now without replacing the assembly. I would call the Service Manger at your purchasing dealer reference the bulletin below and ask if he will fix it as Goodwill. Tact goes a long way in these type of negotiations.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...t=1919&page=19
Thanks for the info! I did try to contact GM about picking up at least part of the repair under goodwill (I'm not too far out of warranty) but the service mgr. told them that it appeared that the breakage was not a physical defect, so they wouldn't help me out. I don't know if it's possible to get them to re-open the case or not (this was about a month ago).
Old 12-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Pugbus06
Thanks for the info! I did try to contact GM about picking up at least part of the repair under goodwill (I'm not too far out of warranty) but the service mgr. told them that it appeared that the breakage was not a physical defect, so they wouldn't help me out. I don't know if it's possible to get them to re-open the case or not (this was about a month ago).
Forget about GM customer assistance people, work with the Dealer Service Manager. He doesn't need a case from the customer center, he can make the decision on his own. The bulletin proves their IS an issue.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 PM

How to prevent sunroof windscreen from breaking.

Everyone I have figured out why the windscreen for the sunroof is breaking. Unfortunately I figured it out after mine broke. There is not a defect in the unit. The problem is the sunroof is loose. The screws that hold the sunroof to the track loosen over time or are not tightened enough from the factory. (not GM fault as they are not the maker of the unit). What happens is when the sunroof screws get to loose it drops farther down when it is sliding back into the roof and then it rubs against the arms of the sunroof wind screen. There is no way the windscreen is breaking from the unit itself, the springs tension that pops up the windscreen is mostly held by the windscreen. The unit that is breaking is just a point of movement. I figured this out by seeing pictures in other forums that the piece was breaking on both sides not just one. I also noticed my sunroof sounded strange lately and sure enough the left side which is where my windscreen broke the screw were loose and could move about a 1/4 of inch. That is enough to cause the problem

If you haven't had a problem yet you may eventually. I would tighten the screws at least once a year.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM

A drop of blue loctite might help with the screws.

Quick Reply: Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)