"How To" Tutorial Library Write tips and instructions on how to install parts or fix problems. This is for detailed "How To's" only, not a forum to ask how to do something. Please post those questions in appropriate forums.

Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)

Old 01-25-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by R CA HHR
Thanks, it was fun to do, turned a bad situation into a positive thing.
Here are a few pics of what it looks like with the screen removed, yes I know its dirty in there.

Of course, once again, if GM would build a quality item and back it up when it breaks this would be a non-issue. Certainly hope that mine breaks (and I think this is a common enough occurance that it will) under warranty.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:40 AM

Do you have pics of the screws that need tightning or at least a discription of where to look? Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by kturley
Do you have pics of the screws that need tightning or at least a discription of where to look? Thanks in advance
I'll second that request-please?

When my sunroof closes it makes a "nails on the chalkboard" kind of sound, anyone else? I've lubed the slides with silicone grease, but it still does it. Anyone have any sunroof maintenance suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM

sonofa*****! A few days too late for me! My clip just broke on my sunroof (2006 with 70k) and sure as sh*t, it was squeaking the last couple of days! Maybe all it needed was to be tightened up. Oh well, looks like I'll be removing it soon and putting in the plastic wind shield. At least I was able to close it before it starts raining again.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for posting, mine just snapped off (same side) a couple days ago.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 AM

I never had the squeaking sound. It just popped one day. Im glad to see this is still a help.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by NizZ8
Thanks for posting, mine just snapped off (same side) a couple days ago.
Been using that RAS Sunroof deflector for several months now without any issues... Thanks again for posting this fix! :)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:57 PM

wind deflector / part

I just bought a used 2007 LT2 (57k miles, 9k dollars) with every possible factory and dealer-installed option (sunroof, heated leather seats, 6-CD changer, rear spoiler, roof rack, chrome group etc) except the automatic transmission (prefer manual for more power and better mileage), smokers package (I don't), and OnStar/XM (no interest). AFTER buying it I opened the sunroof and guess what was already broken and just lying in wait for a trusting me to watch pop up? Well, one dealer (Pinegar in Republic, Missouri) will fix it as per the TSB for only $273 labor (no good will since it was a used purchase) and $15 for the new rails. However, one end of my factory wind deflector is broken off as well (driver's side). Chevy only sells the entire wind deflector assembly, but I only need that one end of it (attached by a single Torx screw). If anyone chose to go the aftermarket external wind deflector route and has an orphaned factory one (or part of one) to sell, please contact me via private message.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:27 PM

Hey, mine broke yesterday and I took it to the shop today. They wanted $700 for a new sunroof module (hahahahaha) I said, "No thanks." The dude was dumbfounded. I did your fix and I'm buying the deflector today. Me 1, Dealership 0. Woo hoo! Thanks for sharing, you rock!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 PM

ARGH! Mine just broke today, on the drivers side. Here is the catch, there were symptoms before it happend: The sun roof wouldn't close all the way without tripping the auto-reverse unless you kept pressing the close button. Did anyone else have a similar problem? I think I may go with the after-market deflector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sunroof quick fix (for those without warranty coverage)