Inactive Classified Ads Where inactive Classified Ads are archived for reference, and possible reinstatement, if the OP still desires after the normal 60 day period of open activity ceases.

SS manual passenger Knuckle needed , got one!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 01:50 PM

SS manual passenger Knuckle needed , got one!!

Picked up my 08 SS about 6 weeks ago now, long story short the steering wheel was WAY off to the right and it was sketchy AF to drive. I got struts for it, and took it to my garage. As soon as I jacked it up I could move the knuckle around a TON, they had the wrong LCA in it.... Phone call to the local dealer to find the nearest GM arm, and some frustrating moments getting that rear bolt out.... The new arm went in great, and at first I didn't think the knuckle was damaged but didn't rule it out. The wheel came back almost dead center and it drove pretty decent. I did also put new moog end links, new upper hats with bearings, and the insulator plates above the spring. I still need to do the drivers LCA, and sway bar bushings, but beyond that I'm not sure why it would still clunk in the right front. It also has new wheel bearings, so I just need a PASSENGER SIDE SS MANUAL KNUCKLE.

Hope one of y'all can help me out here!

Last edited by Oldblue; 12-20-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Send hellshotrod a PM
Old 12-20-2020, 07:03 AM

When you replaced your struts, we're they fully loaded aftermarket, or just the struts? I replaced the struts on one of my 09 SS units and it still clunked. Found out through the "clunking" GM TSB that it was the strut jounce bumper. They loosen up on the shaft and the bellows / bumper as an assembly bounce up and down going over bumps. A couple of zip ties on the shaft to hold them up confirmed, so I bought new bumpers. GM says to glue the bellows to the spring seat to stop it from happening (bumpers sort of "clip" into the bellows).

Just a thought.

Robert
Old 12-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by rorr
When you replaced your struts, we're they fully loaded aftermarket, or just the struts? I replaced the struts on one of my 09 SS units and it still clunked. Found out through the "clunking" GM TSB that it was the strut jounce bumper. They loosen up on the shaft and the bellows / bumper as an assembly bounce up and down going over bumps. A couple of zip ties on the shaft to hold them up confirmed, so I bought new bumpers. GM says to glue the bellows to the spring seat to stop it from happening (bumpers sort of "clip" into the bellows).

Just a thought.

Robert
I just put the KYB struts on it, I'm actually swapping those for ACdelco when i get my taxes, KYB excel struts are NOT for an SS HHR. I think my clunk is the sway bar bushings, but I'll check this out for sure too. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2020, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Did you get a knuckle from hellshotrod?
Old 12-20-2020, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Did you get a knuckle from hellshotrod?
He does have one, and Rockauto has new in stock as well. I forgot to close this.