Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Tips before a cross country drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 05:28 PM

Smile Tips before a cross country drive

Hi All,

First off, thanks to everyone here. I bought a 2006 black HHR at an Estate sale. She had a bunch of issues including the cowl leak, broken door handle, broken front door driver's latch, etc.

I put new tires on her and got a oil change and she is running beautifully.

Thanks to everyone here and the information posted, I got all those little details fixed up and it cost me next to nothing.

Now... I'm planning a cross country road trip, from Tampa to California passing by Louisiana, TX, NM, CO, UT and NV. I work online so I might keep going to Alaska, but I'll see how it goes by the time I get to CA in 5-6 months time.

Anyway, before I leave, do you guys have any tips on what to do to the car before leaving?

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:51 PM
Technical Moderator

Welcome!

Moved to introductions.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:09 PM

Thanks mod!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:34 PM

Welcome! I am in Tampa Bay too :) Although our little HHR's are amazing, they are, at there base, still a car. So, check obvious things, especially for a long trip like that; ALL fluids, including transmission fluid. Not just levels, either. Check the condition of the fluids as well as color. Check for unusual suspension noises, check spark plugs, check your tire tread life, check to make sure all of the lighting both interior and exterior are in proper working order, especially headlights and brake lights. Should be good to go if all checks out!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM
JCC

trip across America

When are you set to leave?

A must for me would be to check the timing chain tensioner. Look for the updated one which you can tell by looking at the bolt head that is on the outside of the engine. Do a search for
it on this site. If you got the correct one your set and that part is good, move on. Note: use only a GM one for this part and not an after market brand.

Always check the spare tire and jack... I found that a spare tire without air in it will make two
flats in one day for sure!

If you can think of every thing to check you will be the first I know of... like packing, I always forget something?

Why not give update as you cross the U.S. and let us know what is happening to the ride?

Regards, JC
Old 04-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Thanks Guys. I'm glad I have a timing chain, I hated owning non-service-documented vehicles that had timing belts.

Tires good, everything is good. We've been on the road now since our first post, everything is going well, HHRs a great cars :)