Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/introductions-48/)
-   -   I is noob (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/introductions-48/i-noob-55914/)

HHRSrub 01-01-2016 07:01 PM

I is noob

I recently purchased a 2008 HHR SS (Auto)
So far the car is great good family car but enough under the hood for me
but like most car people I want more performance just wondering what you guys recommend
Also I was told the car comes stock tuned for 5psi is that true?

JerseyJames 01-01-2016 07:58 PM

Welcome Aboard!:thumb:
Well, if you're completely stock, getting a "tune" (different from a tune-up) might freshen things up! Basically stock engine computer settings are kinda mild, a Tuner "maps" out different settings to get more power. How Much ? Are you a gambling man? Do a search for "SS Tune" for more info.
Next step is hardware w/ tune to match. this will get you to :skull1:seriously-damaging-tranny-parts:skull1: type horsepower if you don't know what you are doing. search "Turbo Upgrade" for info.
Anyway you'll get plenty of advice and help ... If ya ain't one of those " one and done" types ! ;)

firemangeorge 01-01-2016 08:00 PM

Welcome to the site. :thumb:

5 psi ? Not hardly. A stock HHR SS should have anywhere from 14 -19 psi boost depending on the variables.(Altitude, air quality, etc. ) Now the auto trans. SS's are detuned by GM in the lower gear to 235 hp. Not sure if that's where you get the 5 psi info from.
If you're only hitting 5 psi max when in the other gears, then something is wrong with your car.

As far as performance upgrades, there are many, many threads regarding upgrades. Just do a little searching around this site. We've probably tried it, talked about or researched it here.
Your best 1st choice would be a tune upgrade such as with Trifecta or HP Tuners. That is, after you figure out your boost output issues if you have them.

TurboTechRacing 01-01-2016 08:02 PM

Get upgraded mounts most get these first to better control future power you may add; plus the factory mounts are really weak.

Also consider the rear Turbo Tech Racing sway bar, with the heavy rear end (compared to the cobalt) it really helps on the corners.

LawDog88 01-01-2016 08:13 PM

FMG, I believe I heard Trifecta no longer supports the SS. I could be wrong, but the gentleman I work with on tunes said that.

843de 01-02-2016 01:02 AM

:welcome8: aboard!

JerseyJames 01-02-2016 07:25 AM

I Agree with Aaron. (Obviously he's biased, ;) ). 1st thing i did to my bone stock LT1 lil' trucklet was get a TTR rear sway bar under it. In my opinion, very easy install & money well spent ! Mounts are good too, for taming the torque steer & wheel hop (wheel hop will chew your tranny up good!)

Oldblue 01-02-2016 07:59 AM

Welcome aboard!

HHRSrub 01-03-2016 12:31 AM

Alright thank you guys for the input my car is putting out more then 5 psi just double checking to make sure I am not a crazy man
I have already started digging into the threads learning a lot very fast definitely will be letting you guys know if I need help in the future

843de 01-03-2016 01:48 AM

We'll be here to answer your questions, and even point you towards a thread you might find helpful.

We're in our second decade on the Internet, so the knowledge base and archived information here is phenomenal.