Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New Member - Got questions on my new SS

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 PM

New Member - Got questions on my new SS

Hi all,
Thanks in advance as I'm looking for any opinions on my project. First let me apologize for the winded post, there's a lot to cover.

Recently I purchased an 08 HHR SS for the wife's new daily driver. I knew from the ad/miles it would need a motor soon. 138,000, on a "cash only" corner lot. The signs were written on the wall.
It was a 4 hour ride so we were pretty committed. Soon as I got there the car was in better shape than I'd hoped but the motor was on it's last leg. Found a pool of oil in the muffler (nice!) Timing chain rattle, etc.

Drove it home, after a few weeks the timing got worse and would almost stall on startup. Not only that the temp wouldn't settle and would reach 250 degrees every 3 or 4 days if we didn't add coolant.

Parked it, I had already done my research on what I wanted to do in the future. Well the future is now! I want to build a solid foundation. I already know I need a Gen 3 short block. The question I have for the community is where to spend and where to skimp.

I'm doing all the work myself and I've got cash set aside (for once!) I'm going to do selectable boost control and an upgraded turbo with full bolt ons. Do I really need to spend on the head/cams? Looking to net around 400whp.

Again sorry for the winded post and thanks for all your help.
-already in contact with ZZP to see what this build is going to cost.

Last edited by Dbeluscak; 05-29-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, you're already ahead of me, ZZP.
You may want to consider a long block or the complete engine, that would cover all the bases and give you a warranty, just not the 400 ponies!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:40 PM

Yes, the long block is def the best option. Great price too! I guess what I'm really after its finding out if the heads/cam is worth the investment. This is the wife's daily driver and if I get in it I'll need to rebuild the trans! From what I've read/seen, it looks like 400whp is easily achievable with the stock heads/cam. Just prodding for insight. Still waiting for a response from ZZP. The old gen 2 is hopefully coming out today!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:56 PM

been there done that..ZZP is with out a question your best bet hands down. Great quality best prices and support. they can do what ever you want and suggest great build ideas to get you to your 400 whp
This is what I went with myself.
GM ACDelco - LDK Long Block #ZZ-LDKLB

I also went with a new after market zzp intercooler and I would suggest their tune as well. you will easily get the 400 whp you want with a new motor and 12 month warranty at prices you can't beat anywhere.

Tim
Old 05-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Deceased

Not only are they a Supporting Vendor here which helps us keep the lights on, but the folks at ZZP are fantastic to deal with, and they know what they're doing.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

Speaking of that MIke....... why is there no list of ANY supporting vendors?

I tried the link provided in the Marketplace Tab and it seems it does not recognize anything I insert into the search field.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 PM

X2 x2
Old 05-31-2015, 01:43 PM

Just waiting to hear back from ZZP. Haven't heard anything since Wednesday so I'll probably just call tomorrow so I can get the ball rolling.

Reading through the forums I'm listing what I need to get started, anything I'm missing let me know;

- GEN 3 LDK Long Block (82# ZZP retainers)
- ZZ-LNFTBUG (Stage 2, 259S Turbo, 3Bar Sensors)
- TTR Engine mount, Rear sway bar
- ZZ-HHRHFIT (LNF HHR High Flow Intake)

I'm also looking into tuners. The car will have an in-dash custom pc for tuning. I'm excited to really dig into all the data this engine puts out. I've looked at the trifecta and hp tuners. I like HP for the live 0-5v inputs and black box datalogging.

I grew up building small block chevy's, they were a whole lot simpler. But you're simply not going to get 400whp and 30mpg out of it.
Old 05-31-2015, 01:49 PM

zzp sometimes take time to get back to you, cause their so busy. But once they do, they will then get back to you every time, usually within 12 to 24 hours. be patient they'll e mail back
Tim
Old 05-31-2015, 02:13 PM

that car is going to haul *** you will get major tire spin, make sure when you tune, that you tune out the limp mode, a must!!

Quick Reply: New Member - Got questions on my new SS