Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

New owner of a 2006, I have a few random questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 03:09 PM

New owner of a 2006, I have a few random questions

inb4 "use the search function" lol
Trust me, I know it's there and I know I have a lot of reading to do, but I'm just trying to get some input on a few things to figure out what I'm gonna do with the vehicle, if I decide to keep it.
Also, hello/cheers; for years I've loved how the HHR looked. I had always said I'd want either a panel version, or a normal model in purple or orange, and it would have to be manual. I came across a purple 2006, with the 2.2 and a manual, in fair condition with 100k for a reasonable price, and decided I wanted it (hopefully not against my own better judgement)

- I already know i need to do the timing chain/rails/tensioner/etc; i've seen a lot of discussion about it, i checked mine and saw that I have the old style tensioner, and you can totally hear the clatter when the engine is cold. If the valve cover has to come off to get at some of the timing components, I suppose the VCG is getting done as well...

- At 100k miles, I figure the clutch could probably be replaced, especially if I intend on keeping the car for a while.
I work at a junkyard, and my boss suggested doing the rear main seal if someone's gonna be in there doing the clutch.

- The suspension definitely needs attention; I don't have the gnarly grinding from the steering components that i've read about, but it definitely feels like the struts and bushings are tired. I did see a thread talking about the bushing in the lower control arms that gets chewed up pretty regularly, and i recall that people said to go for the cast aluminum arms rather than the stamped steel ones... I just spent $1000 of parts and labor to replace the whole suspension in my 30 year old buick, and it was absolutely money well spent, so I'm hoping the same can be said of the HHR when/if I do it.

As far as I can tell, those are the most apparent "big" things that I think need to be done. THe interior definitely needs to be cleaned (kinda dirty, and it smells like someone bombed a Glade factory), i'm missing a few assorted filler pieces, shift knob is falling apart, and there's tacky adhesive trim accents all over the dash... but all that stuff can be done in time, in warmer weather when I can rip it apart and be without a car for a few days. There was a stored p0300 code, random multiple missfire, but the CEL was off when I bought it and hasn't lit in 100 miles of driving by my own hands; I'm sure it could use new plugs, maybe a new coil pack, etc, all things that I can iron out in time. Got dealer history and option code list from GM (someone took the sticker out of the glove box), and it looks like it was brought in for the ignition cylinder recall at least.

My question's really just if anyone has any pertinent, initial insight they can offer that might make tackling some of this easier. Maybe some kind of vital nugget of info that may be easy to overlook once I can really do some reading...
If I'm still undecided on the car, should I only get the timing components done, and sit on the clutch/suspension until I've driven it some more?
If I get the clutch done, is there any other basic stuff I should have the shop do while the engine is out?
Motor/tranny mounts?
The exhaust flex pipe isn't making any noise as far as I could tell, but is that another one of those 'do it because it'll fail eventually anyway' kind of things?
Suspension stuff isn't a huge concern just yet, if only because I assume that's gonna be pretty straightforward.

Maybe this was a pointless post, I've just been too busy to sit and really dive into the forums just yet. I'm not in a position to own two cars, and I've unexpectedly fallen in love with the 89 Buick I saved from our crusher at work a couple years ago; it's in great shape, it's comfortable, drives great, had 50k miles when we got it, and i've been doing a bunch of stuff to it to bring it back to 100%. But I really want to like this HHR... I'm sure these forums are going to be invaluable, so I'm really hoping the car will be worth the money and effort.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:48 PM
Technical Moderator

To check on recalls https://my.chevrolet.com/recalls

Owner Manual link in my sig

LCA bushings and sway bar links are probably bad.

Check the hubs, .015 inch end play tolerance on all 4.

Original plugs are good for at least 100,000 miles

DexCool has a shelf life of 5 years, regardless of miles.

You might consider a water pump while doing the timing chains.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:38 AM

Clutch should be fine at 100K unless someone road it hard.

I'm guessing the top part of the shifter is loose or off? Mine did that, I just glued it back down. The 4 clips break after some time, easy fix that worked for me.

Flex pipe never went out on me after 9 years, but had to replace the entire assembly due to the cat dying. Why swap what still working? It's a cheap DIY for the most part.

I'd swap the tensioner first and see if that quiets things down. Mine at 117K was quiet, but I did change the tensioner early.

Personally, I'd fix what needs to be fixed and go from there. We also have a Majestic Amethyst (purple) 06 Cobalt we inherited from my mom. But it's only got 50K on it. Getting ready to bring it home to start getting it ready for my daughter (she turns 15 next month). Tensioner is the first thing I swapping, along with the coolant.