Introductions Welcome! Please take a moment to say hello.

Prospective HHR SS owner!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM

Prospective HHR SS owner!

Hello!

I went and test drove an HHR SS manual last night, at a dealer relatively close by, and I was very impressed by the car’s performance and road manners! I have an aging 2006.5 Scion xB right now at 210k, so something like this is up my alley for a nice upgrade… and I’m already used to the type of interior the HHR has. I have owned a couple turbo cars in the past, and have done a lot of modifying as well, but I would probably keep this one relatively stock… I have been without boost for 7 years, so I miss it! It’s nice that this car is still pretty relevant, performance-wise, to the newest hot hatches like the Focus ST and GTI.

With that said, I had some questions regarding some things that only experienced owners can answer:
1. What’s the best flash for this car, and/or what are my options?? This will probably be the first thing I get for the car. Also to consider is the ability to re-flash with modficiation (I’ve read that you don’t need to, but I’m still skeptical). I’m new to flashing: The last turbo vehicles I had used Eprom Chips, so you had to get a new chip every time you upgraded something, unless you wanted to go stand-alone… No thanks.
2. Is the GM Stage 1 kit worth it? I would likely get this for the sensors, then flash it to get optimal results. Does the dealer have to install it, or it something anyone can do??
3. Is there a GM turbo upgrade, and if so, does it increase turbo lag? The engine is VERY responsive as-is though! I am a stock-turbo guy, but was wonder if there was any benefit to this.
4. Are there any long-term maintenance issues that I should be aware of, other than the service bulletins?
5. What parts fail quickly or have design flaws?
6. There’s a TSB for suspension clunks: is this relevant to the SS?
7. I’m looking at 2 cars: 1 with LSD and Brembo’s, and one with lower miles, but none of the goodies. Is the Factory LSD that good, or is aftermarket a better choice? And with a decent set of pads, can I get away with not having the brembo’s? Ideally, I’d like the LSD and Brembo’s out of the box though.

TIA
Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM

well i will start you off with some info
a lot of the info you are looking for is here on the forum, just gotta search
5 spd benefits from the LSD and extra power
auto's benefit from launch control (5spd has but helps more in the auto i think)

brembo's and lsd are a plus! have had and seen a lot of issues with the brakes, not much trouble from the brembo upgrade. and the lsd is worth it!

tunes, can go 3 routes, gm upgrade, trifecta, of HP tuners
HP gives the most control over the dynamics, but if you cant tune or dont know someone who can then this is difficult
trifecta is offered on this site by CJ and from what i have seen is a good way to go. he takes info from you and customizes your tune for you via email
gm upgrade is the least favorite of the three, but does retain warranties if you are still in warranty
for the money HP or Trifecta are the best way to go, gm upgrade is about $600 thru the dealer, this is the only upgrade offered by the dealer

worst issues have been the suspension issues up front and codes thrown because of faulty installed gm upgrades by dealers from what i have seen
suspension is somewhat easy and cheap to fix with new sway bar bushings and endlinks. also lower control arms have bushing issues.

ZZP is probably the best place to go/look for performance upgrades. intercoolers, exhaust, turbo upgrades, clutch upgrades. Hahn is another

5spd can push more HP before things are strained

if you drive them and they push about 15psi then they are stock
if they push 20+psi then they have a tune or the gm upgrade already

i am sure someone will correct me if i am wrong on any of this, this is a great site and good people here so trust you will get good info..
Old 06-02-2015, 11:56 AM

one other thing i will say about intakes, the stock ugly ass box is actually really good as it is! it pulls cold air from the fender
ZZP makes an intake but it will require a tune for it
not much more for intakes out there, CIA makes one but will require a tune
i personally have the K&N intake and i have had no issues with it but others have. it benefits from a better pipe to the turbo and the filter but the new box lid is staight up ugly! the stock lid can be used with a little modding to it, and it looks much better in my humble opinion
Old 06-02-2015, 11:59 AM

I think Papaerboy did a good job of covering the basics :)
Definatley LSD and brembos is a plus..to buy them aftermarket, parts and labor close to $2000 so if you can get one with those options is a plus. Hp tune on a mustang dyno is the way to go IMO
Oh welcome aboard, and Good luck
Tim
Old 06-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Good luck with the search.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site! Happy hunting for that SS!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Technical Moderator

The TSB about clunks in my sig pertains to all HHRs. It is not a warning or advisory; it is a diagnostic and repair bulletin.

Many people think a TSB is something just short of a recall, WRONG! They are advice to the technician.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:14 AM

Thank you for all of the responses! I am getting the ball rolling to make this transition happen :) Turns out one of the listings I saw was an old ad (as I suspected) .. but the car is still unregistered... oh well. There is another.
Originally Posted by paperboy72
worst issues have been the suspension issues up front and codes thrown because of faulty installed gm upgrades by dealers from what i have seen
suspension is somewhat easy and cheap to fix with new sway bar bushings and endlinks. also lower control arms have bushing issues.
Codes from/for the suspension?

Will Polyeurethane LCA bushings help?

Also, the brembo + lsd package: how does that work, combination wise, per model year?

Sorry for the new questions but these cars seem to sell fast!

Thanks again :)

Last edited by NoGrip61; 06-03-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

So. What year is this SS you're looking at ?

The LSD and Brembos was the Performance Package available for the 5 speeds.
(some of the earlier models could have had the LSD as an option before the Brembos became available in 09)
Auto trans. SS's never had these available when new.

No codes from the suspension( Paperboy's post wasn't really clear )

Codes from a faulty GM installed upgrade.
Some of the earlier "Stage 1" upgrades were not done properly by some of the dealers. There were issues with the cutting and splicing of the Tmap wiring harness. The newer, better kits have a plug-n-play harness: no splicing .
Old 06-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
So. What year is this SS you're looking at ?

The LSD and Brembos was the Performance Package available for the 5 speeds.
(some of the earlier models could have had the LSD as an option before the Brembos became available in 09)
Auto trans. SS's never had these available when new.

No codes from the suspension( Paperboy's post wasn't really clear )

Codes from a faulty GM installed upgrade.
Some of the earlier "Stage 1" upgrades were not done properly by some of the dealers. There were issues with the cutting and splicing of the Tmap wiring harness. The newer, better kits have a plug-n-play harness: no splicing .
2009 and 2010 only. I guess my question was to clear up the package contents: could they be ordered separately, OR if you see the brembo's, then it will have the LSD. Of course, I will be requesting the RPO codes to verify though.

Quick Reply: Prospective HHR SS owner!