Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/introductions-48/)
-   -   What's your "Top 5" list? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/introductions-48/whats-your-top-5-list-59566/)

Thursday 11-04-2017 07:58 PM

Hey all!
I just picked up a 2006 2.2L, and I am excited to get started on it. (no pics yet)
I am am a mediocre mechanic, in that I am mechanically inclined, but most of the technical stuff escapes me. I have replaced many many parts, but never tuned anything successfully, for example. Same with body work. I can add/remove, but welding is a little outside my skill set. As often as not I pay a professional and for some of the mods, I probably will.
That said... I have seen a pretty good range of mods, improvements, adjustments, etc throughout the forums, and I am just not sure where to start.

If you just picked up a stock 2006 HHR, what are the first 5 things you would do (assuming all is in working order)?

Also, it may help to let you know what I intend to do with it. :)

I am an avid camper and traveler. My son and I just packed the back storage areas with camping gear that will probably just live there, including sleeping bags, a fair-size power station, and miscellaneous cooking gear. We will also be taking some pretty long road trips about 3-4 times per year. Daily, I am planning to use the car to visit small towns around Corpus to help them grow Scouting units. Between those, it will get a hell of a lot of mileage each year. At the same time, our house was hit pretty bad by Harvey, so we are rebuilding. (Paint, lumber, etc.)

Honestly, there aren't a lot of cars that will do all of those things and still get great gas mileage, but this one pulls it off!

Oldblue 11-05-2017 07:00 AM

Welcome to the site, nice choice for a ride!

1- KYB struts and shocks
2- Canuck Motorsports lowering springs
3- Moog K200792 lower control arm bushings
4- 2 1/4 inch exhaust system ( I choose Walker)
5- A Turbo Tech Racing rear sway bar

It will ride much better, than you can upgrade the front brakes

firemangeorge 11-05-2017 07:13 AM

I have a SS so I lean more towards engine performance and handling mods. Pretty happy with the looks of my car so I don't plan on any cosmetic changes.
(Well, I did add a SS emblem to the grille )
My mods are mostly listed in my signature below.

RJ_RS_SS_350 11-05-2017 08:51 AM

Hi Thursday, :welcomewagon: to the forums!!

The way you're planning to use it, I agree with oldblue that you need to go through the front suspension. I would put sway bar end links in the list also.

You may also want some protection for your paint, in the form of a front end bra, as well as running boards or side skirts.

Thursday 11-05-2017 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue (Post 832540)
Welcome to the site, nice choice for a ride!

1- KYB struts and shocks
2- Canuck Motorsports lowering springs
3- Moog K200792 lower control arm bushings
4- 2 1/4 inch exhaust system ( I choose Walker)
5- A Turbo Tech Racing rear sway bar

It will ride much better, than you can upgrade the front brakes

Awesome, thanks!
I just had the Cat replaced for free from the dealer I bought it through, so the exhaust may wait a while.
The suspension is a good call. Any thoughts on how this will do if we head to some remote sites (aka minor offroading)? I am concerned about the low clearance.

firemangeorge 11-05-2017 06:18 PM

HHR's don't have much ground clearance so be careful. And no, they can't be raised very much by putting on taller tires. No room in the wheelwell and the struts will rub on any tires taller than 26.2 inches.

Thursday 11-05-2017 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge (Post 832584)
HHR's don't have much ground clearance so be careful. And no, they can't be raised very much by putting on taller tires. No room in the wheelwell and the struts will rub on any tires taller than 26.2 inches.

Pretty much what I was thinking. I will save the super-adventurous sites for the Subaru.

Oldblue 11-06-2017 09:15 AM

Skip the lowering springs , but check your stock springs they are prone to breaking