The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

$2500 for a brand new car...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 AM

$2500 for a brand new car...

in India. For that kind of money you get NO airconditioning, NO radio, NO passenger side mirror, and only 1 windshield wiper.

http://ca.news.finance.yahoo.com/s/1...2-500-car.html
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM

Just read this article. Here's a pic:

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 AM

Once it is set up to pass US crash specs, what will that do to the cost.....
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by solman98
Once it is set up to pass US crash specs, what will that do to the cost.....
I doubt that's even a consideration seeing how it's an India only vehicle for now. They only have to worry about our US crash specs if they are shipping the car into the US which doesn't look like it's in their immediate plans. As long as the car passes whatever safety specs they have in India (which could be higher for all I know) they're all good.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I doubt that's even a consideration seeing how it's an India only vehicle for now. They only have to worry about our US crash specs if they are shipping the car into the US which doesn't look like it's in their immediate plans. As long as the car passes whatever safety specs they have in India (which could be higher for all I know) they're all good.
I know it states India only for now. I did read the article. Not immediate, but they are looking into shipping into the states and other places.

For now, the car will be sold only in India, but Tata has said it eventually hopes to export it. The Nana could become the basis for other similar super-cheap models in developing markets around the world.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

I know it states India only for now. I did read the article. Not immediate, but they are looking into shipping into the states.
When though? Like 10 or 20 years in the future when safety and EPA standards will be different anyways? How do you even know that India's safety standards aren't compliant or exceeding US standards? If they plan on making it European compliant like the article alludes to then it should already surpass our safety standards.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:59 AM

When though? Like 10 or 20 years in the future when safety and EPA standards will be different anyways? How do you even know that India's safety standards aren't compliant or exceeding US standards? If they plan on making it European compliant like the article alludes to then it should already surpass our safety standards.
That makes no differenace to my original comment.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

That makes no differenace to my original comment.
It doesn't make a difference to your original comment if it already meets or exceeds our safety standards? For all you know the car already exceeds our safety standards and won't affect the price one bit. Sound like your predisposing that the vehicle isn't as safe as a vehicle sold here and it's going to cost a US consumer a lot more based solely on the fact that it's from India without even knowing if your statement is true.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM

It doesn't make a difference to your original comment if it already meets or exceeds our safety standards? For all you know the car already exceeds our safety standards and won't affect the price one bit. Sound like your predisposing that the vehicle isn't as safe as a vehicle here and it's going to cost a US consumer a lot more based solely on the fact that it's from India without even knowing if your statement is true.

India's safety standards are no where as strick as the US. I do know this. This car meets India's safety standard, not the US.

So what are you baseing your comments on?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

India's safety standards are no where as strick as the US. I do know this. This car meets India's safety standard, not the US.

So what are you baseing your comments on?
I'm pulling my theories straight from my ass just like you are. I don't know anything about India's safety standards. If you are absolutely sure that their safety standards are lower then ours then sure it might cost more. I personally don't know if the vehicle needs anything extra or redesigning to meet our standards so I wouldn't assert such a positive statement. But if the make it to meet European standards in addition to theirs then there should be no problems meeting our standards at no additional cost.

Quick Reply: $2500 for a brand new car...