Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   2006, YR-1 owners only (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/2006-yr-1-owners-only-8694/)

Black Beauty 06-14-2007 05:42 PM

2006, YR-1 owners only

OK, lots of people come on site claiming they did their homework before they finally bought their new HHR.
I didn`t.
My wife wanted a Chevy pick-up, I wanted a Turbo PT Cruiser.
We saw the HHR on some show, possibly Auto Week, thought it was a good compromise, finally saw one outside a dealership, went in drove out.
No real research, she wanted it, I got it for her, hence, Her Hot Ride.
So with that being said, how many did actual research, (came on line/site, went to several dealers for info, not just best deal), and how many basically did what I did?
Now the only criteria I ask is... be a first year buyer,(2006 model) because you pretty much had little exposure to many HHR`s to see on the road where as YR-2 buyers had all the HHR`s on the road to check-out, and possibly ask owners questions YR-1 buyers couldn`t.:thumb:

Black Rose 06-14-2007 05:55 PM

Did the research, numerous test drives, joined this site about 2 months before we got the HHR to get some info, etc.

We had a choice between a 2006 or 2007 model. Got the 2006 because it was a better deal (and also limited colour as it turned out).

No regrets so far.

GDZHHR 06-14-2007 06:03 PM

Did no research on our 1st year-one, did lots for our 2nd year-one!

mizzouHHR 06-14-2007 06:13 PM

I did some quick research on mine. I was sold on the malibu maxx, until I saw the HHR on the lot. Went to the chevy website and looked at options, compared the HHR with the Maxx, looked at reader review sites and other sites, and the next day took my Grand Am with a blown head gasket and brought my baby home. We've been happy every since.:D I didn't know about the problems without running boards, but I knew I wanted the boards for the look. Lucked out on that one. I also knew I had to have the 2.4, as every article I read said the 2.2 was doggy. Becouse my car had problems, I was limited by what was on the lot, so I was lucky I found a 2LT with everything I wanted, with the exception of a sunroof.

calgaryhhr 06-14-2007 06:17 PM

I did no research.

My story goes as such:

I was half sleeping/half watching golf on a Sunday afternoon in Sept. I was awoke to a chevy commercial although I only caught about 5 seconds of it at the end and it happened to show an HHR (which I had never seen before.) I went online that afternoon (GMCanada) and saw the HHR. I called a couple of dealers in Calgary that next day and only one dealer had them (they were the first dealer in Calgary to get them.) I went to the dealer who was just down the street from my office, took one of the already sold HHR's for a ride and I liked it. We had a talk about options and stuff. Checked the computer and it showed a silver one that had almost everything I wanted. The silver one should have been delivered and was unsold but noone at the dealer had seen it yet. I went home and called them the next day and put a hold on the vehicle, signed the papers on Wednesday and picked it up on my way to school on Friday.

Shortly after that I signed up on the hhrclub forum and then this one.

I kicked myself because a few weeks after I purchased the B class Benz was released and I would have preferred that vehicle. Now I'm shooting for the Audi A3 or 4 for the new year, but I'll wait and see what happens.

Black Beauty 06-14-2007 06:26 PM

calgaryhhr, you were doing good til that last little paragragh, but we`ll over look it, this time. B/B:lol:

shaginwgn 06-14-2007 06:56 PM

The first time I seen the HHR was in an article for car and driver magizine. Right then i was sold on getting a HHR, that kept me going in Iraq till I came home.

Firewatcher 06-14-2007 07:01 PM

I had seen a news article about the HHR. Being a Chevy guy, I checked things on line on Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book, and a few other sites. Also found this one. The HHR had the Bowtie that I liked, was rated for good gas mileage, and had storage. Drove a few, bought mine right off the factory lot (was to be shipped to the dealer for stock). Pretty happy since although I did miss a few points such as the sandblasting issue. Sometimes I think I should have waited a year, but all in all I have no complaints. I got rid of a 2003 S-10 4X4 for the HHR.

SandyBeach 06-14-2007 07:31 PM

I did no research.

I saw an advertisement for the HHR and was amazed at the price compared to all the options. I test drove one but wasn't ready to buy. I hadn't determine whether I could afford a car payment again or not. When GM offered 0% financing and I qualified, I went searching the internet for inventory.

I found this website while looking for better floor mats. I'm still looking!

The only regret I have is not finding out what options were important and what were not. I could have saved what I paid for the roof rack and premium stereo and got a sunroof or leather seats. Oh well, now I know for the next one I buy.

courthousedeb 06-14-2007 07:43 PM

The weekend I went looking for a car...I was looking to buy a PT Cruiser. Test drove one on Saturday night and wasn't impressed with the comfort of the drivers seat and it had a funny smell that the dealer said was normal on a new car with a 5 speed. Yea right...I don't think so. So we went home and decided we'd go back up and look around during the day when they were closed on Sunday to see the cars in the daylight. I knew I wanted a car that was a different color...not like all the champagne, blue, burgundy, white and silver cars...and that's pretty much what color all the PT Cruisers were. So, we headed back home and I was a little dejected that I now had decided I'd get something other than a Cruiser...but what? As we pulled into my boyfriends mobile home park, there it was...the most beautiful car I had ever seen. Sitting at the stop sign, I saw an HHR in Sunburst Orange. I asked Henry...what the hell is that? I want one of those...that's the coolest looking car I have ever seen. The hell with the PT Cruiser...what is that?

He then calmly said...honey, I don't know...but it has a big gold bowtie on it which means it's a Chevrolet...and I know they just came out with a brand new model and it's 3 letters, but I don't remember what they are....imagine that. :lol: Anyway, I drove home and fired up the computer and went to Chevrolet.com and started searching the models. As we looked thru the names, he said...that's it...it's called an HHR, so I clicked on it and when the picture popped up, I said that's it...I want one of those and started looking at all the colors and decided it would be either Daytona Blue (just because it had the word Daytona in it...the NASCAR fan in me made me do that), Majestic Amethyst (the color intrigued me) or the Sunburst Orange (I live in Denver, Home of the Denver Broncos aka Orange Crush, and also because my mom who had recently passed away was a Tony Stewart fan, as am I)

I had to work the next day and he was off work, so I asked him to drive to the Chevrolet dealer, test drive one of them and bring me a color brochure, so I could learn a little more about it. He went...test drove a Sunburst Orange, picked up the brochure and called me and said...Deb, you're gonna love this car. The orange is really cool looking and the car rides very nice and it's got your name written all over it. :lol:

Well, I was pretty busy at work, so we didn't go looking for about another 10 days. The day after new years, I woke up and announced...we're going to look at HHR's today. I want an orange one with a 5 speed and we're shopping until I find one. Off to the dealers we went...first Medved Chevrolet (they were recommended by a friend) maybe can get a better deal since I was sent there by a guy who buys his fleet vehicles there...no orange HHR's. :( Then Stevinson Chevrolet a couple miles from there (1 HHR...it's sold and is Sport Red) :( Then off to John Elway Chevrolet...now they should have an Orange one, right? NOT!!! But they did have 15 HHR's in about every other color, but they were all automatics. :( Test drove a Daytona Blue to see if I even liked the ride and I loved it. Dealer says, we'll have one brought in from another dealer. I said, thank you but I'll keep looking. Then, we went to the dealer where he originally went to begin with.

As we got out of my car...there it was...the most beautiful car I had ever seen in Sunburst Orange Metallic. My heart began to pound and I told Henry...go over there and tell me that's a 5 speed. :lol: He walks over there, looks inside and gives me the thumbs up. My heart is about ready to fly out of my chest now. I looked very closely and said, let's go find that salesman you talked to...I want to drive this. If it feels right to me...I'm taking it home...and he laughed. Test drove it, fell in love and left about an hour later...him in my Honda and me in my shiny new Sunburst Orange Metallic HHR...now known as Smoke.

I didn't really do much investigating on the car other than color. I didn't care what it came with or what kind of mileage it got...I knew it was the car of my dreams from the moment I saw it. :smile: