The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Buying a Car In North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Buying a Car In North Carolina

This is a question for members in NC.

I am probably going to go to NC over the holidays to buy a used car for one of my kids because I don't want the usual rusting-out cars available here in Western NY.

From what I read on the web, NC issues a temporary registration (so I can drive it back home) if you show proof of insurance and a title signed over.

Unfortunately, it looks like the title needs to be notarized. Is this correct? So if I buy from a private party we have to go to a notary public to sign it?

I checked the NC DMV site but I couldn't find much info on the temporary registration for in-transit vehicle.

I will probably need to do a Carfax on the car to make sure it didn't spend most of its life here in the North and was brought down to NC.

Thanks
Steve
Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 PM
Technical Moderator

NC is one of the renowned "chop shop" states. Lots of rehabbed flood cars and weld ups. Be careful.

Finding a notary shouldn't be much trouble.

Which did you use?
Official NC DMV or this one Generic DMV site

The official site doesn't want to tell you anything, I am a bit suspicious of the generic site that pops up with a GoOgle search.

Remember CarFax only reports what was voluntarily reported to them. For instance, a car may have been involved in a major unreported accident and repaired in somebodies back yard; no CarFax. Or, car is flooded, owner decides to not try to get insurance and dries it out;; no CarFax.

There are parts of NC that are as bad as NY when it comes to road rust.

I think they have "Drive Away" temp tags, no mention on their website.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:06 PM

After last summer/fall, with the floods they had... I don't think I'd be shopping for a car in NC anytime soon. But that's me.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
After last summer/fall, with the floods they had... I don't think I'd be shopping for a car in NC anytime soon. But that's me.
I agree, or at least I'd be very cautious getting one from there.

And is seller has a bank account, about every bank I've dealt with has a Notary in house.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 PM

Last year I bought two cars in Florida (including an HHR) and my daughter and I drove them back.

I am trying to go far away enough to avoid the rust problems here in the Northeast, but not as far as Florida. Preferrably within a day's drive back home.

Charlotte NC was a good spot because we can fly from Buffalo to Charlotte one-way for $39.

Any other suggestions?

Steve
Old 12-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Charlotte is sitting under 15 inches of snow, rare but it does snow there.
I’ve considered Arizona
Old 12-10-2018, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Arizona is a good place to hunt. Thing is you need to check is the registry & see if a vehicle was always there.

I was looking at an S-10 in Fla, thinking it should be ok. Found out it just came down from Maine..........Doh....

Underside was rotted badly to confirm this..
Old 12-10-2018, 09:24 PM

Southern AZ... Anything north of Sedona is high country and just as prone to salt as any northern state.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Ah, good point, it remains the same, inspect each HHR you see, as you can’t be certain from whence it came!
Old 12-12-2018, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

That does seem to be the case, Buyer Beware.

& Thanks Greybeard !!!

Quick Reply: Buying a Car In North Carolina