Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   Buying a Car In North Carolina (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/buying-car-north-carolina-61132/)

fastsuv 12-07-2018 12:08 PM

Buying a Car In North Carolina

This is a question for members in NC.

I am probably going to go to NC over the holidays to buy a used car for one of my kids because I don't want the usual rusting-out cars available here in Western NY.

From what I read on the web, NC issues a temporary registration (so I can drive it back home) if you show proof of insurance and a title signed over.

Unfortunately, it looks like the title needs to be notarized. Is this correct? So if I buy from a private party we have to go to a notary public to sign it?

I checked the NC DMV site but I couldn't find much info on the temporary registration for in-transit vehicle.

I will probably need to do a Carfax on the car to make sure it didn't spend most of its life here in the North and was brought down to NC.

Thanks
Steve

donbrew 12-07-2018 02:11 PM

NC is one of the renowned "chop shop" states. Lots of rehabbed flood cars and weld ups. Be careful.

Finding a notary shouldn't be much trouble.

Which did you use?
Official NC DMV or this one Generic DMV site

The official site doesn't want to tell you anything, I am a bit suspicious of the generic site that pops up with a GoOgle search.

Remember CarFax only reports what was voluntarily reported to them. For instance, a car may have been involved in a major unreported accident and repaired in somebodies back yard; no CarFax. Or, car is flooded, owner decides to not try to get insurance and dries it out;; no CarFax.

There are parts of NC that are as bad as NY when it comes to road rust.

I think they have "Drive Away" temp tags, no mention on their website.

Greybeard999 12-07-2018 04:06 PM

After last summer/fall, with the floods they had... I don't think I'd be shopping for a car in NC anytime soon. But that's me.

sleeper 12-07-2018 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Greybeard999 (Post 856889)
After last summer/fall, with the floods they had... I don't think I'd be shopping for a car in NC anytime soon. But that's me.

I agree, or at least I'd be very cautious getting one from there.

And is seller has a bank account, about every bank I've dealt with has a Notary in house.

fastsuv 12-10-2018 12:56 PM

Last year I bought two cars in Florida (including an HHR) and my daughter and I drove them back.

I am trying to go far away enough to avoid the rust problems here in the Northeast, but not as far as Florida. Preferrably within a day's drive back home.

Charlotte NC was a good spot because we can fly from Buffalo to Charlotte one-way for $39.

Any other suggestions?

Steve

Oldblue 12-10-2018 03:11 PM

Charlotte is sitting under 15 inches of snow, rare but it does snow there.
I’ve considered Arizona

sleeper 12-10-2018 08:40 PM

Arizona is a good place to hunt. Thing is you need to check is the registry & see if a vehicle was always there.

I was looking at an S-10 in Fla, thinking it should be ok. Found out it just came down from Maine..........Doh....

Underside was rotted badly to confirm this..

Greybeard999 12-10-2018 09:24 PM

Southern AZ... Anything north of Sedona is high country and just as prone to salt as any northern state.

Oldblue 12-11-2018 12:48 PM

Ah, good point, it remains the same, inspect each HHR you see, as you can’t be certain from whence it came!

sleeper 12-12-2018 10:15 PM

That does seem to be the case, Buyer Beware.

& Thanks Greybeard !!!