The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Camaro with HHR engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by prod
The mustang had a turbo 4 back in the 80's. I dont see any problem with the idea, especially in todays market.
Unless of course its mine. V8 or nuthin.
Heh, funny you should bring up the good old 2.3L Turbo SVO. I have one we now call the "SV8":

What can I say? We had two SVO's of varying quality, so we took all the best parts for the one, and then shoveled some spare 5.0 stuff into the remaining shell, and of course, added a turbo (no engine is complete without one!). Fun car

Last edited by HillsdaleHHR; 05-29-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Reduced pic size
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 PM

There used to be a local guy that ran a silver Pinto with a turbo 2.3 and a C4 in it. He was a regular at the old Palmdale LACR dragstrip (closed down last year). He was known as "turbo joe" and that Pinto ran low 10s and 130 mph.........run after run after run.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:25 PM

Smaller engines with turbos are the next thing. Rumar has it GM will start using a turbo V6 as the base engine in Silverados, Tahoes, Sierras and Yukons.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Banned

I'm just trying to figure out what is the point of putting the 4-banger in the car when a 4.8 liter V8 with Active Fuel Management could achieve the same efficiency in a less complex package. Horsepower is no replacement for torque and people buy ponycars for torque.

I think it's just a rouse to get the rice crowd excited about the new 'maro. Gimme a small-block any day of the week.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Retrorod
There used to be a local guy that ran a silver Pinto with a turbo 2.3 and a C4 in it. He was a regular at the old Palmdale LACR dragstrip (closed down last year). He was known as "turbo joe" and that Pinto ran low 10s and 130 mph.........run after run after run.
I know him! As of late, it's been a tube-chassis Focus Wagon with a turbo Zetec engine...fast too!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NickHHRSS
Smaller engines with turbos are the next thing. Rumar has it GM will start using a turbo V6 as the base engine in Silverados, Tahoes, Sierras and Yukons.
They may as well...Ford's already anoounced the same thing, and the thugs even stole my screen name for it too!
Old 05-30-2008, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Horsepower is no replacement for torque and people buy ponycars for torque.

I think it's just a rouse to get the rice crowd excited about the new 'maro. Gimme a small-block any day of the week.
A muscle car just aint a muscle car without at least a V8 in it, IMHO.

big engine + loud low-throaty exhaust = musle car.

I still get a kick out of the "enzyte" comercial... whare the guy says "...Ive got a V6, so its a big motor..."

I like the look of the new Camaros, but if it doesnt have an "8", and "8nt" gettin it.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:35 AM

I see the benefits of the 4 cyl, however, the demographic that is most likely to purchase the Camaro grew up when all the Camaro had was a V8.
I dont think gas prices are QUITE to the point where it would be a big seller. If you are buying the Camaro for the looks, or handling, then you wouldn't need the bigger engine per-say.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 AM

the "Active Fuel Management" is a cruel marketing rouse, so you can tell your wife that your new V8 muscle car is environmentally friendly and good on gas. My 06 Impala SS had this poor excuse for "economy" that supposedly suts down 4 cylinders while you're rolling along. You would get better economy by dropping it into neutral. Most of the time, while idling at lights, the engine is in full V8 mode, only drops to 4 while cruising downhill on highway speeds. My Impala was rated at 18/28MPG, I avereged 13/20 MPG in NJ.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Premiere07
the demographic that is most likely to purchase the Camaro grew up when all the Camaro had was a V8.
There was never a model year in which only a V8 was offered in the camaro. Either 250 I-6 or later V6 weer available every year. Most have all been replaced by V8s, but there were many sold as 6 cyl cars. V6 mustang outsell their GT bretheren and have for decades. Why? Chicks dig 'em, don't want a V8 and the insurance is less, never mind fuel costs.

Simply, smaller engines, hybrids, turbos, etc are all the future.

Quick Reply: Camaro with HHR engine