The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Victory Day May 9

Old 05-10-2018, 01:18 AM
geg

Victory Day May 9

Hi
yesterday was a big holiday - the day of victory over fascist Germany
The final act of unconditional surrender of Germany was signed in the Berlin suburb of Karlshorst in the building of the officer club of the former military engineering college of the Wehrmacht on the night of May 8-9.

Guys, I congratulate you on this great holiday.
In this difficult time, our countries were together. The American soldier and the Russian soldier fought shoulder to shoulder. They together destroyed fascist bastards.

Victory Day May 9 is an official state holiday in many countries: Russia and many post-Soviet republics, Poland, Israel, the Czech Republic and others. In the US and Great Britain they do not celebrate very widely, I read only about some veteran organizations.

Military parades were held in my native city of Yekaterinburg and in many other Russian cities.
I posted a link to the Yekaterinburg parade. At the 43rd minute you can see the American vehicles of those years. Studebakers and Dodges, and Harley. The Soviet army actively used American transport and aircraft. It was a good technique and the Soviet soldier was really grateful to the American engineers and workers for their excellent quality.

Immediately after the parade - the march of the "Immortal Regiment". It is unlikely that there will be a family in Russia where there is no hero. Grateful descendants carry portraits of their fathers and grandfathers - veterans of World War II.

I am also there, somewhere in this many thousandth foot column.
I carry a portrait of Peter Zverev, my grandfather who died near Stalingrad, along with his two brothers. And a portrait of my grandmother Ekaterina Zvereva - from 1942 to 1945 she worked at a military plant, sewed uniforms for the Western Front.

Happy holiday guys. And let the new war never return to our homes.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:32 AM

Thank you for posting, Andrey. May this never be forgotten!