Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   GM CEO Ed Whitacre to Step Down Sept. 1st. (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/gm-ceo-ed-whitacre-step-down-sept-1st-31233/)

Black2010 1LT 08-15-2010 11:16 AM

I agree, Whitaker did eventually get the right people into the spots they needed to be in, some just came in and went back to where they had been previously. Sometimes it is the best thing to do; but you don't see it until a change has been made.
Whitaker's nod for a flagship Caddy was also the right move. GM was once the best in the world; Caddy was the standard to judge the others. It is possible to accomplish, why not shoot for it!

I did not realize SS sales figures were so low; however, I think they should have closed out production with them available. Why not have made the 2LT available with the 2.0Turbo and SS suspension? Let the model go out with a bang!

My hope is that GM doesn't concentrate too long on cars for the masses and leave enthusiasts on a budget hanging. Not everyone can afford a Camaro SS; especially in the snow belt. Though, as you mentioned, the economy is a factor, and development cost need to be recouped via sales.

hyperv6 08-15-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Black2010 1LT (Post 485961)
I agree, Whitaker did eventually get the right people into the spots they needed to be in, some just came in and went back to where they had been previously. Sometimes it is the best thing to do; but you don't see it until a change has been made.
Whitaker's nod for a flagship Caddy was also the right move. GM was once the best in the world; Caddy was the standard to judge the others. It is possible to accomplish, why not shoot for it!

I did not realize SS sales figures were so low; however, I think they should have closed out production with them available. Why not have made the 2LT available with the 2.0Turbo and SS suspension? Let the model go out with a bang!

My hope is that GM doesn't concentrate too long on cars for the masses and leave enthusiasts on a budget hanging. Not everyone can afford a Camaro SS; especially in the snow belt. Though, as you mentioned, the economy is a factor, and development cost need to be recouped via sales.

I know some people connected with GM and they will not leave us hanging. It is just they need to get the bills paid with the cars that sell the most and then worry about the go fast stuff second. GM is not going to be able to live on V8 Pickups forever with the new CAFE laws. We will get fun affordable cars in the future you just have not been told what to epect yet. They will come.

The SS models just never sold in great numbers I am sad to say. GM killed them both before the last year to cut cost on both models as they built out. It is not a good move to invest in a model for one year. It is not just as easy as bolting the suspension on a LT. The money they would have sepent on this will do more good elsewhere where on future product.

The 2.0 will be updated and moved to other cars the first being the Regal and more. GM needed to free the production up for these other future cars.

Note too that with new models coupes, Sedans, Convertibles and Performance models will not all come at the same time. Many will be release is a series of years.

I just want to see someone take a 2.0 Turbo and stuff it in a Chevy Spark. That would be fun to watch.

Black2010 1LT 08-15-2010 08:17 PM

I understand what you say, the cost of creating something, even off of an existing platform, is incredibly high. There's all the required government testing for crash worthiness, fuel economy, and emissions that they must pass all over again. Even if only swapping an engine, it starts from page one.....

I'd truly love to see a replacement for the HHR in the future, though I doubt we will since people believe retro styling to be old now. However, if they designed it off of inspiration from the 55-57 wagons I'd bet it would be a hit!

But yes, they need to get on sound financial footing, and niche vehicles aren't likely to be a big part of that, nor are full-sized trucks. The notion that sales of trucks will last is largely an error. Fuel prices aren't likely to remain low (why I just dumped my full-sized truck), nor will it be easy or cheap to meet mileage standards.
I am also skeptical that vehicles like the Spark are going to be huge hits. Unless fuel prices press people into smaller cars, I do not see too many people being willing to downsize their rides very much. People's perceptions of safety and ego's sometimes overrule those decisions.

I'm seriously looking forward to seeing what they have in store....

urbexHHR 08-15-2010 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Black2010 1LT (Post 486037)
I am also skeptical that vehicles like the Spark are going to be huge hits.

I agree. In my opinion, the Cobalt/Cruze is about the smallest cars most American's will drive.... That's why I think the Cruze is going to be a hit.