Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   HD or standard definition??? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/hd-standard-definition-17145/)

jeffs396 07-28-2008 11:54 PM

HD or standard definition???

Hi all...there will be a new HHR enthusiast due at our house on september 15th:eek:...and with his arrival comes a need. Our OLD Hi 8 camcorder is antiquated & worn out. Been looking at all of the new models, is it worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to HD, or does standard definition record well enough? I'm going by the video quality of this old Sony, & if standard def hasn't improved since Hi 8, then HD would be the only way to go! Has anyone had the chance to see the video quality of the two side by side to compare? Could probably compare the two in the store, but it's not the same as replaying at home on a bigger screen than the LCD on the cam. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks in advance!

Leon 07-29-2008 01:21 AM

If you can, go for the HD recorder. You will want to show those videos on a wide screen someday and you might as well start with the better resolution of the HD unit. If not, you'll end up replacing it for an HD unit someday anyway.

Jeff® 07-29-2008 05:00 AM

I have a Sony FX1. I was the first kid on the block, probably the whole state to go HDV. I have tons of footage taken from when there wasn't even a delivery medium for the material. Now, this darn camera cost 3200. It still does actually, but today there are so many more. I could have 2 or 3 really decent cameras for what I paid. :eek:

Go to videomaker.com and read their reviews. Definitely go HDV or AVCHD.

Also, IMO. Sony or Panasonic. NEVER Canon. I have never ever had a canon anything that didn't crap out after a few months. Google "canon eats tapes."

SandyBeach 08-01-2008 06:46 PM

I purchased a Sony DV recorder several years ago and it has been great. Not only was the video clear but the audio was amazing. I used it to record my son in the high school band playing the half-time show and his brother playing football.

I think I'd definitely stay with Sony, no matter what the price!

hhrcrafty 08-01-2008 11:07 PM

Sony is great except for all the proprietary crap like "Memory Stick". I've used Canon products for a long time and have never had any problems, either. I'd get a Canon or Panasonic with either flash or hard drive recording.

EL_REY 08-02-2008 01:25 PM

if you get a good SD type i think the reso would make a diff..
plus it would be cheaper huh?

an08HHR 09-11-2008 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by jeffs396 (Post 296304)
Hi all...there will be a new HHR enthusiast due at our house on september 15th:eek:...and with his arrival comes a need. Our OLD Hi 8 camcorder is antiquated & worn out. Been looking at all of the new models, is it worth the extra $$$ to upgrade to HD,

Time to congratulate Jeff on his new son born Sept 9th. Maybe when he is done changing diapers he will respond.:thumb: :beer: Here to ya Jeff and to your wife.:one:

HillsdaleHHR 09-11-2008 09:14 PM

Congrats, Jeff :thumb: :thumb:

jeffs396 09-12-2008 11:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks! Here's a pic of the new HHR enthusiast!

Attachment 3703

HillsdaleHHR 09-12-2008 11:11 AM

Wow, he's got alot of hair :lol: