The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

How do you Nascar fans feel about ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
The fuel injection used in the NASCAR at Daytona is different from fuel injection used on stock cars. I'm unsure how/why a restrictor plate is used. NASCAR just swapped out a carburator with a fuel injector. If they want to control the speed of NASCAR, have the race cars use a V6 engines. The NASCAR cars are all identical with different stickers on them. The race is like watching a freight train going by at 186 mph.
Looking at this pic the fuel injection looks like normal fuel injection to me. Albeit race ready lol. The carb was replaced with a throttle body just like on todays cars although it sill looks to use a cable. The computer chip is from the same family of ECU chips that can be found in many cars and trucks throught the 2000's including the Mustangs and GM full size trucks. The technology is there but that does not mean that they use every function of their chip. But I also see seperate coils per cylinder almost in a coil on plug setup. Now just need to see if they employ crank and or cam sensors lol.

Last edited by 07azhhr; 02-28-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 AM

Freescale/McLaren ECU with Holley throttle bodies..by the looks of it....all cars will run the same ECU, with their own uploads of course.Looking at this race its already paid off....201 mph? Going to be an interesting year,.....
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

bad wreck into the truck blowing off the track.. I couldn't believe seeing that..
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Deceased

Thankfully both Juan and the jet dryer operator are fine, that was a bad deal all around.

Congrats to Matt Kenseth and the folks at Roush/Fenway Racing, what can you say, those Fords had the field covered, now its on to the Valley of The Sun.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:41 AM

My other issue is toyota this was supposed to be an American sport and if so why is toyota allowed to race in it they are not American fiat volvo mercedes porsche can not enter so why can they.
http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/head...ona/index.html
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Freescale/McLaren ECU with Holley throttle bodies..by the looks of it....all cars will run the same ECU, with their own uploads of course.Looking at this race its already paid off....201 mph? Going to be an interesting year,.....
I edited my post above yours and added a pic of a Nascar engine from this year.
That is some nice looking FI to me. Also see seperate coils per cylinder, nice.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Last night when they did a close-up on the fuel tank, pickups, and the new pumps, Larry Mac mentioned that they maintain 70 psi line pressure, which seems very high to me. It will be interesting to see how the pumps hold up over the season. I'd prefer better nozzle technology and less line pressure - you know, like my SS...

And, if Dale Jr. had had anyone but Biffle in front of him, someone else would have won, right? Of course, if he coulda/woulda/shoulda beaten one of those guys on a restart, HE coulda maybe had something for them... I'm not in his fan club, but it was good to see him not have BAD luck last night.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM

Congrats to my fellow Wisconsinite, Matt Kenseth # 17 !!
Unlike 2009, he really earned this victory. Whoo-hoo !!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:39 AM

EH....Biffle and Little E were saying the same thing after the race..I thought he was going to--I was waiting for him to go..was waiting for him to make his move....THIS..is what happens when you remove the radios chatter between drivers..now they have to read minds...or go old school and devise hand signals..and apparently the new rear spoilers are creating havack on the rears..last year they could steer out of pretty extreme side angles, now, no way. The rear is a gonner....looks like they going to have to learn to drive again..