Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   Hurricane Sandy (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/hurricane-sandy-43481/)

solman98 10-29-2012 07:01 AM

Hurricane Sandy

Those in the new england area, be safe.

BlackknighT 10-29-2012 08:37 AM

I am on LI and we had some evacuations & all public transportation has been suspended....

Anyone needing weather info-use this site: www.wunderground.com

It is the most reliable site I have found. (I am part of My District OEM/EOC Team and use it quite extensively. Just pop in your zip code. Also click on the Sandy link and you can see the projected pathway shes taking. What makes the site great as well is is is also compised of hundreds of mini weather weather stations in peoples back yards as well as town halls,etc. Being in emergency management I will be purchasing a weather station at some point and become one of the reporting stations. Because of so many stations you can get real time weather rolling through your area. If you listen to the news stations its always gloom and doom. For some areas it may be, but see the site for what really happening in your area. My mom listens to the news like it's a religion...I have to use weather underground info to calm her down when neccessary.)

foolmoon_design 10-29-2012 09:56 AM

Its a big joke on the gulf coast. But your usually safe until Jim Cantore shows up! Be safe!

Blue_SS 10-29-2012 02:13 PM

I just read a story about about possible high waves on the Great Lakes that doesn't seem plausible. 35 feet?

http://www.freep.com/article/2012102...text|FRONTPAGE

sleeper 10-29-2012 02:52 PM

We are getting winds here in TN from Sandy. Believe that..

I got friends up in Va., & Pa..

JerseyJames 10-29-2012 06:19 PM

Mmm .. just a tad breezy & misty down here at da' shore (Toms River) ... seems not to have the prolonged wind now...but, ya just can't tell ...:crossfingers:

DwHhr2LT 10-29-2012 06:55 PM

Stay Safe Every one on the East Coast ~

87silver 10-29-2012 08:34 PM

I'm up on the Hudson River. Luckily high on a hill. The waterfront restaurants down near the river are under water. We're in for a long road to normalcy.

Ni keHerc 10-29-2012 09:21 PM

Northern NJ - I put a car cover on my HHR to help protect it in my driveway. I suspect it will not provide much protection. I had the cover from a 2009 Subaru Forrester, and it fit the HHR fairly well.

I could not believe it. The wind took the cover off, and layed it on the front passenger side of the car.

THE BATMAN 10-29-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by foolmoon_design (Post 677578)
Its a big joke on the gulf coast. But your usually safe until Jim Cantore shows up! Be safe!

He's imfamous for the Bow eco spots . LOL

When Jim shows up , Shi- Just got real ! :cool:

deliveryman 10-29-2012 10:17 PM

I pray everyone will be safe through this storm. My daughter, son in law, and grandkids are in Narragansett, RI just off the beach. Other than no electricity they are doing pretty good.

sleeper 10-30-2012 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT (Post 677567)
I am on LI and we had some evacuations & all public transportation has been suspended....

Anyone needing weather info-use this site: www.wunderground.com

Mike- Thanks, that's a great weather info link.. :twothumbs:

Just entered the zipcodes of areas I wanted to check on, & up to the minute great details !!!

HillsdaleHHR 10-30-2012 11:09 AM

We are having effects of it here in Southern Michigan. Very high winds and freezing rain/sleet.

LawDog88 10-30-2012 11:24 AM

Its snowing down here in Ohio and high winds. Upwards of 55mph gusts. Q

Snoopy 10-30-2012 11:52 AM

Wow, watched the weather reports, off and on, for the past 2 days. I have a few relatives and many friends on the eastern seaboard. I wish them all the best......while I sit in my back yard in 90 degree weather and a fine Dominican cigar.:cool:

CCBouncer 10-30-2012 04:49 PM

I live in Queens County NY and a tree fell right in front of my HHR. Luckily, the treetop just barely missed my hood and grill.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/7759/treedown.jpg

CCBouncer 10-30-2012 04:51 PM

And yes, I did brave the storm to move my car back about 3 feet. :)

Srjeeper 10-30-2012 06:28 PM

We had wind gusts upwards of 81mph last night and the rain sounded like hail on the windows...thought some of the bigger windows on that side of the house may not make the night...thankfully they did, but Sandy wasn't nice to the area.
Power went out about 2100 last night and we probably won't have it back for a day or two yet....compaired to some in NJ...it's barely worth mentioning.

If it wasn't for tough times we wouldn't appreciate the good times near as much. :thumb:

Prayers up for those that weren't as lucky as myself & others..:wink:

BlackknighT 11-01-2012 12:24 PM

Checking in from Nassau County LI.... No power since Monday. Estimates are "up to 14 days minimal". Minimal gasoline available. Between stations that were in the middle of changing in-ground tanks, to Stations with out power-it is bad... No looting near me yet. Mossburg Persuader loaded n ready. Have basic food-cans of soup, raviolli, etc. A few full propane tanks for BBQ. Mini gel fuel stove (for wifes & girls hot cup of tea-world could be coming apart but it's ok if they can still have their tea) Have to say my world right now is roses in comparison. Part of my District is Far Rockaway-approximately 140 homes in one community are destroyed by fire & flood wipe out. Several of my Brooklyn areas near Coney Island are basically streets that have become beaches complete with sand. Long Beach which is not within my areas is devestated as well. I know Jersey got it bad as well. Kiss going to AC for the weekend goodby. I just hope everyone is as well as possible. Cars & homes can be replaced-loved ones cannot. 2 Employees living in areas that had to be evacuated unfortunately went into their homes and were drowned in their basements when sudden swells crashed into their homes and trapped them under debris in the basements. It was bad enough one, but 2 different employees in 2 different locations. Will give any future updates soon. I have to jump on the net from work as we have power.

NYC-Update. 14 of the 25+ subway line may be operational soon. Most still flooded with sea water. Sea water and electrical components dont make a good pair... Some busses running. Most of Queens, Brooklyn, Jamaica, LIC, Nassau main roads passable. Staten Island was hit bad but could have been worse. They were lucky only ONE tanker ran ashore! As of now the only area there shut down in my District is Mariners Harbor. The rest of you that were hit-HANG IN THERE!

sleeper 11-01-2012 11:07 PM

Mike- Glad you & yours are OK. On the news, looks Extremely bad up that way..

My sister & family in Arlington, Va. only lost power for 26 hours.

Back in Fla. we would get hammered by a Hurricane & expect loss of power.
Longest was 9 nine days, & 2 weeks later got hit again, lost power for 7 days.,
But it was hot weather. BIG Difference.

Sorry to hear of the loss of the 2 employees, that is tragic..

You HANG in THERE too..

BlackknighT 11-02-2012 05:43 AM

At work today. Still no power/heat at home. 19 people so far found dead in Staten Island. One man was found on the floor dead because when he didn't leave before the storm and his power went out-so did his oxygen setup... If people are told to leave-there usually is a reason. People in the Rockaways & Long Beach that were told to leave WHO DIDN'T-are now taking away rescue personnel from other necessary duties by having to be rescued themselves. Please remember when you are told to leave and you don't you put the emergency service people at lifes risk to rescue you, as well as diverting them from emergencies elsewhere. Being selfish like that can cost lives! Our goverment Fleets will be (hopefully) receiving mobile fueling trucks within each of our major areas today.

As for me I have just utilized my last 5gal metal jerry can... Have some fuel. Will be at work tomorrow. N/S on Sunday, work Mon, N/S Tuesday. Hopefully by Tuesday the Fuel situation will stabilize. My Neighbor and I have placed our vehicles strategically against our homes to ward off idiots looking for fuel. With our combined weapons & wives & kids knowing how to use them I do not see us having an issue.....Food levels are not bad at home. The surrounding area has pockets of power and deliveries so it is not an issue right now to restock-however we are only doing canned goods because you don't know what store could be re-using spoiled "fresh" food. Yeah it sounds bad, but once again I have to say I have it good compare to most others. Kids, wife & I are playing games in the evening by candlelight. Actually talking to each other. Making hot coffee & tea. Not too bad. We all need to "cut" our power once in a while to enjoy our families.....

Subways and a few LI MTA train lines coming alive. Free bus fairs for today... Cleanups going on all around. Sanitation in my area is picking up on the normal schedule. Mail deliveries were the 1st thing that had showed us signs of normalsey... Good old mail! Mail getting through but not internet, cell phone service real bad, 30% of the cell towers are still out. Will update by tomorrow....Boss watching!