The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

My girlfriend and her transport

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Angry My girlfriend and her transport

My girlfriend has poor credit and a vehicle she has been paying on for months. She has yet to get the title, and has had temp tags until recently. She has now been driving the vehicle with plates from a different vehicle that have not expired yet.
The problem now is, the truck has been in the shop twice since she bought it about 6 months ago, and is about to be again for it overheating.
The car lot doesn't have the title, and neither does she. It's being held by the finance company, of which, has no land line, and contact has been minimal.

She is going to the car lot tomorrow and is going to talk to them. She wants a different vehicle, 1 because of all the problems she has been having, 2 because it has no title available, 3 so she doesnt have to drive illegally..

advice guys?
Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Don't marry her! :)
Old 01-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Deceased

Not sure where to even begin 1151, she's got a real mess on her hands. The whole title thing confuses me, but without clear title she can't trade it or do much of anything else. Driving on the wrong tags is a big trouble maker, she's very lucky that she hasn't been pulled over. Why hasn't the title been turned over, did the car lot arrange financing for her with this shady company, and how much money has she put into this vehicle? I'm thinking that she needs legal help with this, someone to go after the finance company and the car lot, or at least a threat of legal action to get them moving.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Banned

Musky, that's not funny man. I like this girl, and it's not at all her fault. There are many things out of her realm of control that ruined her credit and such.

For whatever reason the title has not been released by the finance company. According to her, the Dealership manager/owner has been getting on the finance company for the title, but to no avail. So it's not the dealership's fault in that regard, they have been trying to get the title.
You are right, the false plates has been a big stroke of luck she hasn't been pulled over, but it's that, or losing her job. She has no other choice.
The dealership did indeed arrange the financing for her, but they had not had problem with them in past.
From what she has told me, she has put close to $1,000 into this vehicle.
I would have to agree, not against the car lot, but the finance company.. The car lot has been trying to help..
Old 01-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Deceased

Ohio state law requires the dealer/car lot to furnish a title within 30 days or they are in violation of the law. If they issued temporary tags without the title they violated the state law. If the dealer/car lot has failed to obtain the title from the finance company in order to provide it to your girlfriend, they have violated state law. Her next step should be to contact either the state Attorney General's office, or local law enforcement. Its a real mess, and she should really consider retaining a lawyer on her behalf. Many lawyers will do things like this on a pro bono or contingency basis. One last thing to consider is the local TV station since they all seem to have a consumer advocate on staff who can shake things up and generate a lot of bad publicity for somebody.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM

I apologize, I was just trying to lighten things a little. But I agree with 843de, you may need legal help. Any "finance company" that doesn't have a phone number to call is trouble in my opinion. And by all means, don't let her drive with "switched" tags. The police will assume a stolen vehicle and won't be too friendly while she explains what happened.

Good luck man!
Old 01-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Banned

So really, she pretty much has them by the balls with this evidence set forth that I have mentioned here?

All she wants is to get a different vehicle, with a title, and plates, and have what she has already paid, go toward the different vehicle, and not penalize her for what she paid on this current vehicle...

Do you think there is a work around for that? ^^^
Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Deceased

My wife is sending an e-mail to a lawyer in your area she went to law school with, she's giving him the details of what's going on. I'll let you know what he says and if he's willing to take her case or help out I'll PM you with the contact info.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Deceased

Another thought, have her call legal aid in your area, should be in the yellow pages. They can usually give quick legal advice over the phone. What you need to do is have all of the information at hand, all the paperwork, and any correspondence relating to this deal organized before heading there to hammer things out.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Officer1151
So really, she pretty much has them by the balls with this evidence set forth that I have mentioned here?

All she wants is to get a different vehicle, with a title, and plates, and have what she has already paid, go toward the different vehicle, and not penalize her for what she paid on this current vehicle...

Do you think there is a work around for that? ^^^
I think the best she can hope for is the title for the current vehicle, Not a "new car" with all the fixin's

Quick Reply: My girlfriend and her transport