Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   Not what you want to find... (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/not-what-you-want-find-20520/)

Chevy SS 01-07-2009 10:05 PM

Not what you want to find...

A good inch or two of standing water in your downstairs... not to mention your car... Not a good day...

Firewatcher 01-07-2009 10:17 PM

It wasn't a foot. So that's a good thing.

halfpanel08 01-07-2009 10:31 PM

what about your car?? it aint leaking is it?
hope it stops raining n the cleanup isnt to bad
sorry this happend bro.

Chevy SS 01-07-2009 11:19 PM

The car is leaking... calling the dealer tomorrow, we are in the process of wet vac'n the downstairs, we have easily dumped 150 gallons so far.

xzombiex66 01-07-2009 11:22 PM

What the hell happened to your house? water heater bust?

HillsdaleHHR 01-07-2009 11:27 PM

I've had this happen before......the basement part. Unfortunately Chris and I were both working and we had torrential rain. The float in the sump pump had gotten stuck and we arrived home to about 2 feet of water :eek: It really sucked. Thankfully that was before we turned the basement into a game room with a pool table. (BTW) our basement had some strange system that collected water from the outer walls of the basement to the sump to drain out. What idiot designed that?!?

Chevy SS 01-08-2009 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by chadpuska (Post 345713)
What the hell happened to your house? water heater bust?

Many days of hard rain combined with inadequate drainage. It wasn't our fault because we didn't know, the owner should have let us know but naturally it slipped their mind.

Chevy SS 01-08-2009 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR (Post 345716)
I've had this happen before......the basement part. Unfortunately Chris and I were both working and we had torrential rain. The float in the sump pump had gotten stuck and we arrived home to about 2 feet of water :eek: It really sucked. Thankfully that was before we turned the basement into a game room with a pool table. (BTW) our basement had some strange system that collected water from the outer walls of the basement to the sump to drain out. What idiot designed that?!?

That sucks, 2 feet, we have 2 inches at most, but it's every where and it hasn't stopped leaking in yet. It has slowed, but not stopped.

Chevy SS 01-08-2009 04:12 AM

It's such a mess. The one good thing is we don't have to clean up or repair, the owners are taking care of that... calling in the pros. It's just such a headache...

Jeff® 01-08-2009 04:59 AM

Hope it wasn't a sanitary sewer backup. I've had that a couple times. :(

halfpanel08 01-08-2009 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS (Post 345773)
It's such a mess. The one good thing is we don't have to clean up or repair, the owners are taking care of that... calling in the pros. It's just such a headache...

glad the owners are taking care of it..
get the pro's n there, they'll get it cleaned up for ya
make the owners fix the drainage issues too..

Chevy SS 01-08-2009 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff® (Post 345774)
Hope it wasn't a sanitary sewer backup. I've had that a couple times. :(

Yeah we have had that happen a couple times including one time when the whole pipe was bad, it was very expensive.

Originally Posted by halfpanel08 (Post 345802)
glad the owners are taking care of it..
get the pro's n there, they'll get it cleaned up for ya
make the owners fix the drainage issues too..

Yeah, the owner is actually in Japan right now and no one can reach her, her boyfriend and mother are helping us out now.

esmarkey 01-08-2009 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR (Post 345716)

Hillsdale, that's actually a standard design and works great unless.... Your sump pump quits (like yours did), I highly recommend the secondary sump pump with the battery backup. It seems that when the power goes out it is usually raining... hard.
Plus it acts as a back up in case your primary pump doesn't work for any reason.

masterchief1112 01-08-2009 12:08 PM

sump pumps work great unless your sewer is flowing into your basement. then its just an endless cycle.

Clevelandhhrss 01-08-2009 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by esmarkey (Post 345896)
Hillsdale, that's actually a standard design and works great unless.... Your sump pump quits (like yours did), I highly recommend the secondary sump pump with the battery backup. It seems that when the power goes out it is usually raining... hard.
Plus it acts as a back up in case your primary pump doesn't work for any reason.

Yep thats right, surrounding you basment in drain tile will at least keep the water going into the sump....as long as your sunp works....

esmarkey 01-08-2009 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by masterchief1112 (Post 345921)
sump pumps work great unless your sewer is flowing into your basement. then its just an endless cycle.

That's just..... er...... um...... :barf:

masterchief1112 01-08-2009 01:40 PM

yeah we had s%$t hitting the fan literally.

dedecv3 01-08-2009 01:55 PM

We've gotten water in our basement of our new house a few times...I think it is coming in around an old chimney though so when i put a new roof on I will take the chimney out.

Chevy SS 01-09-2009 08:51 PM

Just ripped out all the carpet and padding, man that stuff is heavy when it's soaked in water. Just have to wait for the concrete to dry and the new carpet/padding goes in... in like a week.

halfpanel08 01-09-2009 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS (Post 346578)
Just ripped out all the carpet and padding, man that stuff is heavy when it's soaked in water. Just have to wait for the concrete to dry and the new carpet/padding goes in... in like a week.

why did you rip it out..
thought the owners were havin this taken care of. lol
and yeah, wet carpet is smelly and heavy :roll:

Chevy SS 01-09-2009 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08 (Post 346614)
why did you rip it out..
thought the owners were havin this taken care of. lol
and yeah, wet carpet is smelly and heavy :roll:

The carpet was going to be replaced no matter what. One company wanted $5,000 to vacuum it and remove it, we just did it ourselves and now the concrete is drying out.

masterchief1112 01-10-2009 01:17 AM

restoration companies charge a ton bc they get it from insurance companies. in our case here the insurance would only give us 3k bc we dont have flood insurance bc we r not in a flood plane.