Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/)
-   -   Things I learned from a Hurricane! (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/lounge-10/things-i-learned-hurricane-26536/)

Nor-Cal HHR Club 11-04-2009 09:27 AM

Things I learned from a Hurricane!

Things I have learned from a Hurricane:

* Coffee and frozen pizzas can be made on a BBQ.
* No matter how many times you flick the switch, lights don't work without electricity.
* Having power does not equal having electricity!
* My car gets 23.21675 miles per gallon, EXACTLY (you can ask the people in line who helped me push it).
* Kids can survive 4 days or longer without a video game controller in their hand.
* Cats are even more irritating without power.
* He who has the biggest generator wins.
* Women can actually survive without doing their hair--you just wish they weren't around you.
* A new method of non-lethal torture--showers without hot water.
* There are a lot more stars in the sky than most people thought.
* TV is an addiction and the withdrawal symptoms are painful. One day at a time, brother.
* A 7 lb bag of ice will chill 6 bottles of Olands to a drinkable temperature in 11 minutes, and still keep a 14-pound turkey frozen for 8 more hours.
* There were a lot of damn trees around here.
* Contrary to most residents' beliefs, the speed limit on roads without traffic lights does not suddenly increase.
* Vinyl siding, while aesthetically pleasing, can sure fly a long way.
* There is nothing sweeter than the sound of a generator.
* People will get into a line that has already formed without having any idea what the line is for.
* Some things DO keep the mailman from his appointed rounds.
* Telemarketers function no matter what the weather is doing.
* Cell phones work when land lines are down, but only as long as the battery remains charged.
* 27 of your neighbors are fed from a different transformer than you, and they are quick to point that out!
* Laundry hampers were not made to contain such a volume.
* If my store sold only ice, chainsaws, gas, and generators...I'd be rich.
* The price of a can of soup rises 200% in a storm.
* Your water front property can quickly become someone else's fishing hole.
* Tree service companies are under appreciated.
* MATH 101: 30 days in month, minus 6 days without power equals 30% higher electric bill ?????
* Drywall is a compound word, take away the "dry" part and it's worthless.
* I can walk a lot farther than I thought.
* I wonder how many people paid their bills that NS Power sent out while most of us were still in the dark.
* And finally...you can manage without a lot of things, except for an extra large double double from Tim Hortons. (Amen!)

Cajun 11-04-2009 10:16 AM

Being from New Orleans....I can relate.....Really...

Cajun / Al

jx3 11-04-2009 05:28 PM

Been there, done that.:eek: Don't want to have to do it again, but if need be, my generator will be the envy of the neighborhood!!:D

solman98 11-05-2009 02:06 PM

After years of living on the coast, last summer, moved to Atlanta, and then Atlanta flooded......:wtf:

Yea, hurricanes suck (and blow). :lol:

unique_w 11-05-2009 02:58 PM

Andrew, Charley and Wilma

Agree.

Originally Posted by jx3 (Post 423083)
Been there, done that.:eek: Don't want to have to do it again, but if need be, my generator will be the envy of the neighborhood!!:D

a76marine 11-05-2009 09:34 PM

Great post Modesto

VictorySpark08 11-06-2009 09:24 AM

Great Post, However never had to deal with a Hurricane just a **** load of Snow which to people around here might as well be a Hurricane it snow's ever year and every time people act like we live in Flordia.

sleeper 11-11-2009 01:06 AM

Hurricanes, Oh Yes. Been there, lost 1/2 of my roof shingles one week, following week lost most of the rest. Thanks to Jeanne & Francis. There were several others also. But those 2 hit us so close together..Straight at us.. And we stayed hunkered down, with the "Battle-Boards" on all the windows & etc.

Looonnng time on Treasure Coast. Finally had enough & packed up & bailed out..
No regrets.
We have a nice place up in the country now & loving it.. :thumb: