The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

What are the things you dislike most about your...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:03 AM

@1970judge
NO- they DID NOT include the HHR in the EPS recall until AFTER I replaced mine(SPENDING MY TIME & MONEY). They basically said ....... tuff luck! I got EPS recall notice about 4 months ago & my EPS went bad about 2 years ago.

@donbrew
The theory is; much like air cooled VWs -main word being LIKE!
I have been to several VW shows and have watch people race to remove the motor out of a VW( it is basically 4 bolts and some wires). I have NEVER seen this happen with an HHR.

The oil and filter change is nothing more then a throw back(HHR) to the original-drop in canister. And that is a good thing.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Old 04-04-2015, 04:06 PM
Technical Moderator

I deliver parts to several auto repair shops and see cradles on the ground under cars everyday. It's like a 2 hour R&R. And that's the ones that disconnect the axles.

However, there really is no need on an HHR. You CAN get to everything, sometimes a special tool is needed the water pump is a case in point. Wear gloves to avoid busted knuckles.
Today I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and the cat in 2 hours without rushing.
You can replace the timing chain, engine in car, by removing the motor mount and putting a jack under the motor.
The biggest pain in the butt is having to remove the underhood fuse box to get to the master cylinder.

Had you kept your receipts for the EPS, you would get repaid. The claim form came with the recall notice. Some of the EPS motors came from different suppliers, that's the why Cobalt not HHR. "Same platform" does not mean exactly the same parts and exactly the same assembler, not even the same country of assembly. One of the problems is the JustInTime parts delivery system, there is no stock room full of parts in the factory, the parts usually get installed within hours of the truck pulling up to the loading dock. Who knows where the truck came from?
Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 AM

one small annoyance to anyone living in snow/ice zones seems to be how easily ice can build up in the front door channels. Had a few occasions this Winter that opening the doors even halfway were tricky and chiseling it out seemed like the only option.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The water pump rarely fails! I have replaced a couple just because I thought 200K was enough, the bearings are still good. I saved the old one. The problem with them is that the weep hole is at the top in a well, so you never can see anything leaking.

Front wheel drive "(makes it hard to change out parts-work on)"; huh? everything is in one place. Once you figure out that you have to remove the air cleaner assembly EVERYTIME you work under the hood, it's really easy.

Work on a F450 if you want to complain about getting to things.
Amen to that..or BETTER yet a E450 , at least you can lift the whole front clip & cab off the F series

OP- I would say not having an oil pressure guage or voltmeter in the cluster kinda sucks the most.
Constant attention to brake operation issues is annoying too.