Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 02:59 PM

Check engine light

I have a 2010 chevy hhr lt with a 2.2 motor in it. About 2 months ago, I had my check engine light come on; I had the codes read. The codes were P0010 (Intake camshaft position sensor), P0013 (exhaust camshaft position sensor), and P0741 (torque converter clutch solonoid stuck on). As well as my vehichle would shutter at every stop sign or traffic light while idling. I had changed my VVT solonoids and it stopped the shuttering, and then changed both camshafts, reset the codes both with a code reader as well as unhooking the battery cables, and drove it for a mile and the 3 codes cam right back on. I don't know what else to do, can someone please give me some advice?
Old 01-01-2020, 04:20 PM
Technical Moderator

You need a transmission shop to deal with the P0741 and the shudder and stall at stops.
The other codes are NOT sensor codes.
P0010 is "Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Control Circuit". That could mean the electrical circuitry inside the intake solenoid is shorted out OR a wire is compromised.
P0013 is the same for the exhaust.

First guess would be the VVT valves are bad.
Second a wire is chafed or making bad connection.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Did you use AC Delco solenoids or another brand? Issues have been reported using anything other than AC Delco.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Did you use AC Delco solenoids or another brand? Issues have been reported using anything other than AC Delco.
Haven't really heard that about the solenoids. Maybe problems with some of the el cheapo ones ?
Now sparkplugs and thermostats. Yes, only AC Delco.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Haven't really heard that about the solenoids. Maybe problems with some of the el cheapo ones ?
Now sparkplugs and thermostats. Yes, only AC Delco.
When one of mine went I did a little reading before I bought the new ones. I found an old thread here where a few people reported intermittent CELs with non-AC Delco solenoids after a short time. My inclination was already to stick with OEM. The AC Delco ones aren't that much more money as I recall. Recommendations on sticking with AC Delco sensors and emissions parts seems to be the theme on most of the GM boards I've frequented.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:05 AM

If the code says it's the solenoid circuit, I would 1st look for obvious wire problems and then just change the solenoid, because its fairly cheap and really easy. It worked twice for me. One car got the correct OEM part and the other got a Dorman, only because O'Reilly had it in stock and I needed the car. I don't quite get the logic of insisting on the OEM part because so many of them fail, but you can't argue with experience. For what it's worth, after the Dorman part went in, the light came on just one more time, but has been fine since with no further action.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 AM

Previous Post

"I have a 2010 chevy hhr lt with a 2.2 motor in it. About 2 months ago, I had my check engine light come on; I had the codes read. The codes were P0010 (Intake camshaft position sensor), P0013 (exhaust camshaft position sensor), and P0741 (torque converter clutch solonoid stuck on). As well as my vehichle would shutter at every stop sign or traffic light while idling. I had changed my VVT solonoids and it stopped the shuttering, and then changed both camshafts, reset the codes both with a code reader as well as unhooking the battery cables, and drove it for a mile and the 3 codes cam right back on. I don't know what else to do, can someone please give me some advice?"

So to answer questions, I meant that I have change the camshaft position solenoids (both intake, and exhaust) as well I did take my hhr to a transmission shop and they change the shift solenoid, and the vehicle is shifting properly. But the camshaft position solenoid light is still showing up. The shops is charging a little much to just diagnose it, which is why I had posted here. Also I am apologizing for not being more on top of my posts, I work 2 jobs, plus have a family, so I couldn't really pop back on to read any new advice or questions. I will pop on once a night to answer questions. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Last edited by RJ_RS_SS_350; 01-26-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:14 AM

How many miles on your car ?
Old 01-26-2020, 11:28 AM

There is just over 172000 miles on it
Old 01-26-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joelbuddy20
There is just over 172000 miles on it
I would consider replacing both the chains on the engine for the VVT problem.

Quick Reply: Check engine light