Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Thermostat and temp sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 03:46 PM

Thermostat and temp sensor replacement

About 4 months ago the coolant temp would flat line but if I went over a bump it would come back? Some times I would have to hook up the Auto Enginuity software and clear out the codes for temp too low and all would be fine for a week or two. So finally this week it started happening more and more and I decided to do a thermostat and sensor replacement at the same time and the whole job took about an hour for both. I got the parts at my local NAPA and cost was about $44 including a jug of the correct coolant. I found a large 1/2 inch drive impact socket and used a long breaker bar that just happened to stick up and required only a couple fingers pressure to break the sensor loose and the same to put the new one in!

I was happy that the hardest item to break loose was the sensor as I am just getting over heart bypass surgery (5/20) so I can't do a lot of stress on my chest muscles just yet but after I finished I felt a million percent better than I would have a year ago!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Good for you oldracer. Sounds like you know when to pace yourself - and that's a good thing.

Hey, a couple questions:

- what shape was the old thermostat rubber gasket look like (if it had one)?
- did the new thermostat have a rubber gasket on the movable valve in the center?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:21 PM

The old thermostat has a rubber seal in the center and it was deteriorated fairly bad. The new one had a smaller seal and looked to be a different material? The outer edge seals looked to be about the same material and size. I'll do a test drive this evening to let things get fully heated up but so far no leaks.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like you caught it just in time with it deteriorating like that. Keep in mind that GM has changed to a non-rubber seal thermostat a while back according to some members reports. Thanks for getting back. have a good one. :)
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Technical Moderator

At least the OEM on my 2011 had no center rubber, only the main gasket was rubber.
I get an employee discount at NAPA I think I would have paid more! What's the secret?