Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Brake Pedal Travel

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM
Administrator

It's not that much more than stock small diameter brakes, you need the calliper brackets and larger rotors! The stock brake calipers are reused, the stock brake hoses too!
And the fit inside the stock 18 hole steelie rims!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by spacer
Mine got a little low after a panic stop (old lady in a Mercedes crossover decided she wanted to occupy my space), feeling really soft and going to the floor. Evidently, had something to do with the ABS. On some advice I found... somewhere... I took Herman to a wet, gravelly hill in my neighborhood where there was no traffic, and made a few ABS activating stops on the way down. Seems to have adjusted itself back to normal.

Still need to change out the rotors and pads, though. Those are just getting worn after nearly 170k miles.

Bleed those puppies! Then actuate ABS again, and bleed again. That was part of this racer's bible back in 2000-10. That will eliminate fluid as a concern. Then, if that fails, you have hardware probs.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Was just thinking about this and crudly measured the brake pedal safely in my garage with the car running of course. I used my hand and when the pedal is firmly depresses without stomping on it, enough to hold the car still plus a little more pressure the pedal is level with the top of my knuckle when my middle finger is touching the carpet, or just between 5 and 5.5 inches from the floor! This is with all new brake hardware front and back save for calipers. Just food for thought.