Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Checking and/or changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Safest way to check it for us guys without lifts or coffin holes.... I drive up my curb from my neighbors driveway so both passenger wheels are on the curb, then I jack one wheel high enough to place one of my vehicle ramps under it as well as the other tire. Nice, safe, & level.

Worked great the last heavy hurricane rains we had. I had my Impala & Cobalt above the rushing water. My HHR of course was safe in my sloping driveway.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:38 PM

Definitely do NOT use the large black rubber plug as a fill hole for the transmission. It seems to be an inspection hole only. The fill plug is on the top of the transmissions, a bit further back than the inspection plug, between the air box and the relay box. It's a bit hard to spot, underneath some big wiring harnesses.

You'll need a long hose to do the refill. I used about one foot of 3/4" plastic hose stuck into the hole, with the shorter hose that come with those manual oil pumps stuck into the 3/4 hose.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by bigjoe
Anyone know how much does it cost to have it done by the dealer?
I had ckecked with 2 dealers both quoted me $180.00
Old 01-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jay loukakis
I had ckecked with 2 dealers both quoted me $180.00
IMO, this is the main reason the dip-stick was omitted from our auto trannys..
Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JSPostovit
Definitely do NOT use the large black rubber plug as a fill hole for the transmission. It seems to be an inspection hole only. The fill plug is on the top of the transmissions, a bit further back than the inspection plug, between the air box and the relay box. It's a bit hard to spot, underneath some big wiring harnesses.

You'll need a long hose to do the refill. I used about one foot of 3/4" plastic hose stuck into the hole, with the shorter hose that come with those manual oil pumps stuck into the 3/4 hose.

I wish I read your response sooner, I found the right plug after trying to fill from the other rubber cap, I basically poured a gallon of Vavoline high mileage tranny fluid all over the driveway. Once I found the other cap no problems. You live and learn.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Thank god for this site and you guys. After replacing the Radiator and fluids, I could not find a dip stick for the tranny. I did find a dip stick, being me for buying this car.

That $180 from the dealer is exactly why there is no Dip stick to check your transmission.

Gm, is finding every way possible to get more money from you. Like after an accident both front seat belts lock shut. Never to unlock. Even though there was no passenger.

Sad, I love this car but, so much nonsense to deal with over simple things like checking your Transmission fluid.

The owners manual is funny, it says ( Reworded ) " Your screwed, give a GM dealer your money! Drive your vehicle to a shop, even though you need transmission fluid! Yada,yada,yada." No wonder they went bankrupt.

Thanks again guys, sorry for the ranting. Just a little PO'ed!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:34 PM

So has anyone actually used this thread to change their trans fluid?

If so, is the 1st post the correct way of changing it?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM

auto trans

the fill plug is on top of trans, to the right of the pop out plug mine os blach and it screws out and in mine is located under a wide wirung harness. move it to one side or other and you will see the threaded plug.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:46 AM

Hi, I changed the fluid.
It took about 1 hour. It is not difficult.
There is a photo guide.
http://bigmotors.by/forum/viewtopic....8&p=4640#p4640
Ready to share experiences. :)

p.s. I think the difficulty with the transfer does not occur.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by manifest
Hi, I changed the fluid.
It took about 1 hour. It is not difficult.
There is a photo guide.
http://bigmotors.by/forum/viewtopic....8&p=4640#p4640
Ready to share experiences. :)

p.s. I think the difficulty with the transfer does not occur.
Nice photo guide anyway of converting that to English?

Quick Reply: Checking and/or changing transmission fluid