Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Checking and/or changing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Floyd M. Steiner
It might have been leaking for awhile just didn’t notice it till it started slipping. When was slipping I babied it to a parking lot. Than got it towed home. I may have to much fluid in it. Would that cause to slip?
Too much fluid can be detrimental. Whether or not the manifested symptom is slippage, I don't know. But I can assure you that too much, can be problematic, in various ways. When you check the fluid, you're suppose to have the engine running, trans in Park. If not, you'll get incorrect readings.

line was leaking so replaced the lines. No fluid came out when took old lines off.
When you take the cooler lines off, you should get a little bit of drippage. Maybe a pint or so. Nothing significant though.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Platinum Member

It might have been leaking for awhile just didn’t notice it till it started slipping. "When was slipping I babied it to a parking lot." Than got it towed home. I may have to much fluid in it. Would that cause to slip?
line was leaking so replaced the lines. No fluid came out when took old lines off.
And that most likely damaged the transmission. Best to find a good shop. A rebuild or replacement trans. looks like it's needed.