Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Clay Bar Your HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:47 AM

Clay Bar Your HHR

Clay Bars seem to be a mystery to a number of people. It is a relatively new method to the general public for cleaning paint and removing the tiny particles that stick to the paint of your car. Detailers and paint folks have been using it for years.

What is the goal of using a Clay Bar? – To maximize the shine on your car you want the paint as flat as possible. Flat surfaces reflect more light and a higher quality light than bumpy or curved surfaces. A clay bar will remove contaminants that have stuck to your paint that are causing a less than spectacular shine.
After you have washed and dried your car, run your hand over the hood or roof, if you still feel little bumps, then you should probably clay the car to remove them.
Clay Bars are excellent for removing overspray, tar, airborne contaminants that are not removed with normal washing

What is a Clay Bar? – Today’s clay bars are synthetic clay, not the modeling clay that we played with as kids. It is not abrasive and will NOT remove any clearcoat or oxidized paint. They generally come in a 2 x 3 inch, or larger bars and can be used to clean multiple cars. If the clay bar you have is larger than 2 x3, cut a section off and use it. Do not use the whole bar.

How to use a Clay Bar– Wash and dry the car. Make sure you have removed all the dirt, especially around the wheels and the undersides. In a 12-16 oz spray bottle, fill 7/8 of the way with water, and add a little bit of your favorite car wash soap. This will be your lubricant. Some polish manufacturers make a special lubricant for Clay Bars, don’t waste your money. The goal of the lubricant is to not only make the surface slippery for the bar, but it also acts as a thin film, keeping the bar off of your paint.
Place a plastic drop cloth underneath the area you are working on. Clay bars are dirt magnets, if you drop it on the ground you MUST throw it away. The bar will have a huge collection of grit that will scratch your paint. Dropping it on the plastic will give you a 99% chance it will remain clean and reusable.
Spray a 1 ft square area, and move the clay bar back and forth over the wet surface.
Put the bar in the palm of your hand and with light pressure, work the bar over the wet surface. You can use your fingers to feel the paint. When it is smooth you are finished and can move onto the next section. Do NOT force the bar into the paint!!!
Upon completion of a section wipe it clean with a towel, or rinse. Do not let the rinse water dry on the car, it will leave watermarks.
ALWAYS KEEP THE SURFACE WET AND LUBRICATED. Do not let the Claybar move to a dry surface. It needs that thin layer of solution to float above the paint.
Work your way around the car.
When you are finished, wash the car again with car wash and apply your favorite polish/wax.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:11 AM

thats awesome.Thanks for the tip..
Old 03-17-2006, 11:17 AM

I've never even heard of a clay bar.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:20 AM

It is EXTREMELY important to clay bar your HHR if it was delivered by train from Mexico. "Rail dust" which consists of hot iron filings can become imbedded into your new cars paint, and left unchecked can cause irreversible damage.

To check for rail dust; clean your HHR's roof well and then run a light microfiber towel gently across the surface. If you feel "snags" and "drags" - you have rail dust!

My car had it bad. A clay bar will remove the rail dust and improve your overall paint finish - as well as eliminating a source of long-term paint damage.

Hope it helps,
Old 03-17-2006, 11:40 AM

I can feel my brain growing everyday...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:14 PM

Thats first one for me too. Great tip thanks
Old 03-17-2006, 06:44 PM

Many thanks!!!

One question: how often do you do this...each wash? ...each waxing? ...each bird crap?

And about pushing, how do you know how hard is too hard? (Cap, no cracks here, the set up was too easy!)

Hey wait, that's two questions.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Krejaton
Many thanks!!!

One question: how often do you do this...each wash? ...each waxing? ...each bird crap?

And about pushing, how do you know how hard is too hard? (Cap, no cracks here, the set up was too easy!)

Hey wait, that's two questions.
I do my cars about every 6 months, when I do a refresh of polish. You can play it by feel, so to speek. After a wash if you feel a fair number of bumps on your hood, or top, then it is probaly time to clay.

As far as hard pushing goes Let the weight of the clay bar do most of the work, or use very gentle pressure. If you come across a stubborn spot, then rub just a touch harder until it goes away.
You don't want to jam the bar into the paint, that will push out the lubricant and potentially cause swirls.
Does that help?
Old 03-18-2006, 09:06 AM

When you get your clay bar, cut it in to smaller pieces, may two or three depending on the size of the bar. This way you will have a backup when (not if) you drop it on the ground. As you work the bar, it will flaten and what you want to do is to fold it and start working again.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
It is EXTREMELY important to clay bar your HHR if it was delivered by train from Mexico. "Rail dust" which consists of hot iron filings can become imbedded into your new cars paint, and left unchecked can cause irreversible damage.

To check for rail dust; clean your HHR's roof well and then run a light microfiber towel gently across the surface. If you feel "snags" and "drags" - you have rail dust!

My car had it bad. A clay bar will remove the rail dust and improve your overall paint finish - as well as eliminating a source of long-term paint damage.

Hope it helps,

I am in need of this clay bar... where do I get it?
I'll take my car back to the dealer to do the detailing. I'll do what I can reach for now until I can get it to the dealer this weekend.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar Your HHR