Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

Two-Stage Foam Filter Update

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:28 PM

Two-Stage Foam Filter Update

As some of you may recall, I threw away my CGS filter and opted to experiment with a UNI two-stage foam filter and an Outerwear pre-filter because I've never felt that an open K&N type filter could do an adequate job of preventing dirt from entering my engine.

After only 1,800 miles, I noticed that I seemed to be losing a little bit of the crisp engine response that I realized when I first installed the CGS tube with the two-stage foam filter and pre-filter. With periodic checks to take a peek at my filter during the first 1,800 miles I had been noticing how much dirt was getting trapped by the Outerwear pre-filter, which is pretty much what I expected.

Here's a shot of the entire filter removed from the CGS tube. Notice all the dirt trapped by the Outerwear pre-filter.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/gallery/sho...=3&userid=5093

Here's a shot of the filter with the Outerwear pre-filter removed. Notice how some dirt still manages to get through the pre-filter but is successfully trapped by the oiled primary layer.

Here's a shot of the inner filter without the oiled primary layer. Notice how clean the inner layer remained.

And a shot of the critical inside of the filter. Just as clean as the day I installed it!

As I've previously stated, for those of you that are running open (no air box) K&N type air filters, I strongly recommend you contact Outerwears and have them match you up with a pre-filter. Be sure and buy at least two so that you can change it before you actually service your filter. We have to remember that there is a ton of debris flying around in the engine compartment. Just take a look at all of the dirt that ends up sitting on your engine and that will give you an idea of just how hostile an environment it is for an open air filter.

Some may feel that only 1,800 miles before having to service a filter is far too short, but the way I see it performance comes at a price. There is only one way to increase air flow and that is by minimizing the restriction, which is generally the amount of filteration. Minimizing the filteration absolutely requires increased servicing.

Randy
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM

UNI foam filter

When I made my modiefied CGS filter was going to get an K&N stayed with the paper filter and installed a UNI foam filter but may get a K&N at a later date.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:26 AM

As a auto part retailer I have been selling K&N filters for about 14 years. They may not be the best out there(I would saythey are,personally), but they do repeated and ongoing testing to ensure their product delivers top performance. The LIGHTLY oil K&N filters do an excellent job filtering and the stories of M.A.F sensors being contaminated by the filter oil is near impossible unless it has been absurdly over oilled. Look for a video on their site or youtube called oilled and confused(no its not an adult flick), it explains this very well.
As far as other brands go I wouldn't feel safe using a lesser open style filter as I do not believe theydo as stringent testing.
I. Can track down a rep if someone would like to speak to them directly. And no I don't work for K&N.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 AM

I find it ironic how at the bottom of the thread on my screen there is an ad for K&N....
Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 AM

I think you are being paranoid. I've used K&Ns for years in multiple vehicles with no problems. Showing how much dirt your setup catches doesn't mean that the K&N would somehow miss that dirt.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM

how about the AEM dry filter then:
http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I find it ironic how at the bottom of the thread on my screen there is an ad for K&N....
It's called "targeted advertising" ............ click on the ad and it will follow you around for days no matter where you go on the net.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:39 AM

AEM is a pretty respectable filter company too. Check out their website and read up on how they determine air flow gains and reducing turbulence etc.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by bk94si
I think you are being paranoid. I've used K&Ns for years in multiple vehicles with no problems. Showing how much dirt your setup catches doesn't mean that the K&N would somehow miss that dirt.
Okay, so that is your opinion. If you notice, nowhere do I try to discourage anyone from using K&N or similar type filters. I simply recommended that a pre-filter get used in an open filter setup. I also stated that I was experimenting with a two-stage foam filter and a pre-filter. I never said to do what I am doing or don't use K&N type filters. I just thought some members might be interested the results of what I am experimenting with.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by gcsd3742
how about the AEM dry filter then:
http://www.aemintakes.com/dryflow_air_filters.htm
Looks to be worthy of a try. I may pick one up and run it for a while to see which system I prefer.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Two-Stage Foam Filter Update