Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance and Upkeep (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/)
-   -   Erratic outside temperature indication (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/maintenance-upkeep-50/erratic-outside-temperature-indication-39595/)

refowler 02-26-2012 03:12 PM

Erratic outside temperature indication

I am getting erratic readings on my outside temperature indication. Any idea why?

donbrew 02-26-2012 03:39 PM

I guess I'll ask the obvious questions; What has changed since the last time it worked properly, anything? What year, model, trim.

843de 02-26-2012 03:39 PM

:welcome8: to the forum refowler!

Can you elaborate a bit more on "erratic"?

Marzipan 02-27-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by refowler (Post 621463)
I am getting erratic readings on my outside temperature indication. Any idea why?

Have you read about this in the owner's manual?

refowler 02-27-2012 08:45 PM

Erratic Outside Temp Indication

Originally Posted by donbrew (Post 621469)
I guess I'll ask the obvious questions; What has changed since the last time it worked properly, anything? What year, model, trim.

2008 SL
Temp indicator is slow to respond. It will stick on one indication and not change until the temp has significantly changed. Where is it located? Can you clean it?

firemangeorge 02-27-2012 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by refowler (Post 621882)
2008 SL
Temp indicator is slow to respond. It will stick on one indication and not change until the temp has significantly changed. Where is it located? Can you clean it?

That's the normal way the weird temp ind. works. Don't recall the particulars, but you have to drive somewhere around 6 miles before it will update and be accurate. Some GM engineers brilliant idea(not!)

843de 02-28-2012 01:34 AM

I believe the magic number is 18 minutes of driving for the outside temperature display a revised reading if it has become "frozen" at the last reading. All three of mine tell me how cold it was in the garage overnight for about 1/4 of my drive to the office, then they wake up and sync with the true outside temperature.

kornellred 02-28-2012 07:39 AM

I concur with 843de. There is a delay in the ambient temperature update when it is obviously warmer when first starting the engine than what it was when it was last turned off. I am not certain, but if it is colder when you start the engine than what it was when you last turned it off, then the ambient temperature will read correctly at start-up.

It must have something to do with the emission control algorithm in the computer.

Blue_SS 02-28-2012 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by kornellred (Post 621982)
It must have something to do with the emission control algorithm in the computer.

Best potential explanation I've heard yet. You don't want a hot summer parking lot fooling the car into thinking it's fully warmed up. Still, this is annoying, and I posted about it last summer right after I got my car. It works just as they said - it takes a while to properly adjust when the temp is warmer, but then it's fine.

Old Lar 02-28-2012 08:27 AM

My 99 Buick had the same issues. The fix was to replace the temp sensor on the car. Easy fix, a PITA to locate where the sensor was located.