Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

front end rattle when hitting bumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:10 PM

front end rattle when hitting bumps

I have to drive on a gravel road for about 300 feet and sometimes it has those chatter bumps in it. I can hear the front end rattle as it hits those bumps. 184k on the clicker. So its time for some parts. Im thinking those struts can make noise as they age. Anything to look at or something that is a typical/common noise on these cars? New front brakes this year. I thought it was the hub caps because they dont snug up tight. I added o-rings around the plastic lugs (2 on each wheel ) and they are nice and tight now, so that eliminates at least a little noise. I rode w/o the hub caps on and it still made the noise. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Check the LCA rear bushings, and ensure the bolt is properly torqued.
the swaybar endlinks and the bushings.
strut upper bearing plate.
the struts.
have a look at the upper engine mount.
ball joints.

there are many how to’s in this site
Old 12-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Technical Moderator

Bumper cover?
Old 12-15-2018, 09:42 AM

OK, that will keep me busy for awhile. I did replace both wheel bearing up front this past summer, seems like the noise started right around that time. Coincidence?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Technical Moderator

There is a relevant link in my sig.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Loose mounting bolt?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:46 AM

My kids old car ( 2001 malibu ) made the same sound and it was the struts. It had 260k on it and the struts were shot. We were planning to repair it and the tranny went south. So we scrapped the car. Tomorrow I'll tear into it. I was looking online at struts and thought the Monroe Quick strut would suit me fine if needed. Way back in high school, I had a front end alignment class. So I kinda know my way around front ends. Although back in those days, it was rear wheel drive. Done my share of A-arm bushings, ball joints, caster/camber adjustments etc.... These front wheel cars are for the most part, non adjustable. Thanks for the "link" and all the suggestions. I'll find that annoying rattle and report back for sure. These forums help people fix things and sometimes we never get to hear the end results. If I do struts, I'll replace the anti-sway bar links. Kinda confused at the length listed online as they list 2 different ones. Not a big deal, I'll measure them tomorrow
Old 12-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Technical Moderator

10 inch!!!!!! No confusion.

quick struts: jack stand, 6 nuts done. only alignment adjustment available to stock HHR is toe. Struts don't affect toe.

check the sway bar bushings.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM

New struts installed along with grease-able sway bar links. No more front end rattle. EZ job - for once it was a job that went w/o any hiccups. Less than an hour for both sides. The links took more time than the struts. Today? rear shocks. Doing all 4 corners at the same time. Monroe EOSpectrum for the rear. Quick strut on the front. Did a test drive yesterday and the ride was very nice. Happy so far.

Quick Reply: front end rattle when hitting bumps