Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery

For those owners who complain about the OEM Delco battery.....

I parked my 2006 HHR, with original battery, in my garage on June 26th before leaving for vacation on June 29th, in another vehicle.

Upon returning home on August 16th I considered starting it, but thought, "aw hell, tomorrow's good enough". This morning, August 17th I inserted the key and it started right up without even a growl. That's 52 days of sitting and no problem. Wonder why???

Also 2008 Vette, with OEM battery, was parked in the garage on June 21 and started this morning, August 17, without effort and no problem (and Vette's are supposed to be notorious with batteries). That's 57 days.

Wonder why I have such good luck with Delco batteries (I'm bragging and will probably have a problem now)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Hey, I really like Delco batteries! My 1999 Lumina had the original battery until 2007! The one in my truck was just replaced last year after 7 years!

I personally think they're a great brand!
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 AM

my wife's 02 sunfire still has the original battery
Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 AM

I had to replace my Delco in my Fiero a couple years ago at 18 years old. It was starting but in the cold it was starting to crank slow.

Most of my Delco's went 5-12 years in other cars. The last two have only lasted 5-6 but I am not complaining.

My only complaint here is they are hard to find away from dealers.

I started using Optima's since I can get them at work cheap and so far they have worked well. The One in the Fiero I got at my cost and I was given a gift card at work that coverd most of the cost. I paid $5 for it do it was worth the risk.

I now that can get Delco again and will do so for my next battery. They have always worked for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:35 AM

Having worked in several auto parts manufactuing plants, I would assume that there are probably about 6 companies that make batteries, and that they are all pretty much the same except for the injection molded cases and label they put on them. The ones that are marginal, they put a cheapy off brand label on them. All the other people they supply have their own specs that have to be met.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 AM

I have discovered that in Florida the batteries seem to just die with no warning. When I lived in upstate NY the batteries would just get weak and crank slow before dieing. In Florida, the car would start one day and be dead the next. The last AC Delco battery I had was in my 99 Buick did just that in 2005.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I have discovered that in Florida the batteries seem to just die with no warning. When I lived in upstate NY the batteries would just get weak and crank slow before dieing. In Florida, the car would start one day and be dead the next. The last AC Delco battery I had was in my 99 Buick did just that in 2005.
I find this to be true also. I had to have my HHR battery replaced 2 mos ago when it just stopped cranking out of the blue. I also just replace the battery for the third time in wife's 04 Monte, but I also attribute that to the fact that she puts less than 5 miles a day on it most of the time along with the heat factor.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by JimDaddyo
Having worked in several auto parts manufactuing plants, I would assume that there are probably about 6 companies that make batteries, and that they are all pretty much the same except for the injection molded cases and label they put on them. The ones that are marginal, they put a cheapy off brand label on them. All the other people they supply have their own specs that have to be met.
It is like that with spark plug wires to tires. We used to mock up a lot of private brand tires for Michelin and BFG. If you buy enough of them they would put your name on them.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Old Lar
I've seen that on all my cars, domestic and imported here in FL.
The only exception is my scooter which the battery gets weaker and weaker and I just hook it up to a tender for the afternoon and its good to go.

Seth
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM

I haven't heard anyone complain about the battery in a LONG time!

Those who did, like myself, were mostly owners of early 2006's which did show a patern of faulty batteries. Mine was replaced under warranty.

My wife's 2006. later in the model year has had no issues.

Quick Reply: For those who B$$$H about the HHR battery