Maintenance and Upkeep Discussion HHR maintenance tips ranging from oil change intervals to brake pads and everything in between.

5-speed manual maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 08:26 AM

Question 5-speed manual maintenance

Hey guys

Can't find anywhere the maintenance schedule for changing the manual gear box fluid. Any idea? My H is at 55,000 miles now.

Also, what clutch life have you guys had? I'm not having any problems with it, just was curious.

Any other manual-related items you can share? The owner's book doesn't show anything and can't find anything online either.

Thanks!!!!!
-Bill
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM

pretty sure its maintenance free.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 AM

I do belive that masterchief1112 is right about the 5-speed being maintenance free. Mine has over 51000 and still going strong - I guy I work with has an S10 with over 130000 and it still has the original fluid in it. Unless you grind the gears alot or slip the clucth all the time - don't fix whats not broken. Have fun
Old 02-12-2010, 05:50 AM

I fully expect to get anywhere between 150K and 200K miles on the clutch. 47K miles and still pulls hard enough to break the tires loose on dry pavement, even in second.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Thanks for letting me know how your H's are doing...

I called my dealer to ask and they said the clutch fluid should be replaced every 50K at a cost of $149. The clutch was "whenever". They don't do manual H's often enough to find out but the last one, the clutch was replaced at 63K. From what the service guy said the manuals are rare, even in the SS.

Upgraded to high-performance tires last year and wow, what a diff!!!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Be careful what a dealer tells you, you need and at what intervals...if you have your owners manual use that as a referance. Some dealers are still doing old school maintenance schedules and these cars have a bit different schedule.A dealer sees you as a source of revenue so be careful.....2nd and 3rd opinions are worth going after.All dealers think you are car smart challenged until you prove differently.
Though in this case hes probably right,,,anything that uses brake fluid needs to be flushed occasionally to get rid of dirt and moisture.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by goldfish
From what the service guy said the manuals are rare, even in the SS.
I meant to say the dealer rarely gets any 5-speed HHR's in for service – they're all autos – even in SS trim. That's why they don't know when the actual maintenance schedule should be. Checked my manual twice, don't see any maintenance schedule in there either.

My gut feeling tells me I'll need to change the clutch fluid eventually, even if it is a sealed unit.

Oh well – keep on truckin'!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:18 PM

I've got a Vue with the Ecotec and the 5 speed - I believe its the same Getrag manual trans that's in the HHR. There seem to be a lot more manual trans Vues on the road than manual HHRs so there's more info to be found about the Vue trans...I think...

According to my owner's manual, the trans is filled for life. The only time you're supposed to even check it is if you suspect that you have a leak. There is no published interval for changing the clutch fluid.

That all being said: Many Vue owners change their trans fluid and replace it with synthetic at about 50K. some even go so far as saying that the syn fluid makes the shifts smoother... (?)

Mine has 60K and I haven't changed it yet, maybe I'll do it someday if I'm bored but I'm not sure its really needed as these transmissions don't really get that hot.

Some also change the clutch fluid as there have been some issues with the slave cylinders (at least in the Vue) and they figure that changing the fluid often will help extend their life. I haven't seen any correlation between changing the clutch fluid and slave cylinder life in the posts that I have read so I suppose its up to you.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the info, 442dude! Yes, HHR 5-speed trannies are the Getrag too. So knowing GM to save a few bucks, Vues and H's get the same.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by goldfish
Thanks for the info, 442dude! Yes, HHR 5-speed trannies are the Getrag too. So knowing GM to save a few bucks, Vues and H's get the same.
But the $100,000 question is: Did the HHR get the same clunky shifter that the Vue got?

How is the HHR shifter? The Vue shifters can be a little cranky getting into 1st gear from a dead stop...I've just gotten into the habit of shifting into 2nd and then into 1st when I'm waiting for a green light. And I know I'm not alone as lots of 5 speed Vue owners mention the same thing...Otherwise I think its a great trans even if its geared a little low (at least in the Vue)

Quick Reply: 5-speed manual maintenance